Menu

faceAPI and a pair of sunglasses?

sf4JC
2017-01-20
2017-01-21
  • sf4JC

sf4JC - 2017-01-20

Well, I had just wrote a big long post, only to have it disappear right before my very eyes, hey, I must be magic ... Hehehe ... (very disappointing for sure). Anyway, to maybe keep this short and to the point, I'll try it again. My question is for Wim and/or anyone else that have tried using sunglasses, Will the faceAPI tracker work without tracking the eyes? I fly flight simulators and I am constantly switching switches or pressing buttons in the virtual cockpit, and since they are somewhat very small to begin with, it took me some time to get used to the screen moving (even though just slightly). I have tried the option to "freeze" the screen with a keypress or controller button, and just don't like not having "freedom" of viewing. I know there may be some problems with using sunglasses, if that will even work, like possibly having to brighten up the screen, or even the monitors frequency and the reaction to the sunglasses. Well, I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this before and got it to work or not, and/or what was tested. Anyways, I'm going to try it out tonight when I get home, but would love to here any suggestions/comments.

Scott

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2017-01-20

Just got done testing only one of the pairs of glasses I have around, and have come to the conclusion that this may not work without possibly maybe shaping the lenses somehow, unless the color of the lenses will make a difference (which I kinda doubt at the moment). Well, more testing over the weekend possibly. And like I said, any suggestions/comments are indeed welcome.

Scott

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2017-01-21

Forgot to remention in the original post that what I'm trying to do is cancel out my eye movement some how, to eliminate the screen movement that happens when just the eye's move. Anyway though, I think it's a losing battle, as it seems that the faceAPI highly needs the eye's position in it's ability to adjust to different expressions in their own software. Well, it was a good try I guess (as I whipe the tears from my eyes, hehe), I was really wanting this idea to work, but I think I'm at the end of the road with this. I think I'd better just say THANK YOU Wim for the years you have put into this project. I know it's not your fault that this problem persists, sure wish seeingmachines (did I get that right) would let opensource creators as yourself have more to work with. It will not stop me though from using FaceTrackNoIR by any means.

Ohhh MAN! I hate it when another idea gets into the brain. I'm pretty sure I am using FaceTrackNoIR with a 640x480 resolution, so if I bump that down to minimal resolution, is it still able to track eye movement as good as it does now? Hope this isn't a wild goose chase, I'll be back tomorrow with an update on my findings.

Scott

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2017-01-26

Well, I'm looking for any help that can be provided at this point in time. I have found no way to change the webcam's resolution with faceAPI, and I thought used to a person could, is this true? I'm just stuck right now, I'm not sure if the lower resolution will help in cancelling out the eyes as I am wishing it would, without affecting the facial recognition of faceAPI. So I would truly be greatful if someone could point me a way of doing so. I hope it is just something I may have missed or overlooked.

Scott

• Wim Vriend

Wim Vriend - 2017-01-26

Hello Scott,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm pretty sure that faceAPI (or any other face-tracker) will not work well with glasses: the eyes are a very important landmark on your face.

I think in your case (and in the case of others, with bad lighting or other issues) a different tracker is advisable. You could go for an IR-tracker (PointTracker) or an IMU-tracker (like EDTracker). Luckily FaceTrackNoIR supports both!

I know that they require specific hardware and cost more than FaceTrackNoIR itself. But if you really enjoy gaming or flying they may be worth the money....

Last edit: Wim Vriend 2017-01-26
  • sf4JC

sf4JC - 2017-01-26

THANKS for the reply, Wim! In my quest to find the answer I just kept thinking that if I could just set the resolution the next step lower, it would somehow cancel out the pupils (or whichever faceAPI tracks), and hopefully just track the eye lids. Oh well, I know I can always use the PointTracker option, whenever I get around to fixing my 3-point clip that I've had for so many years. I have to also check out how VR works with FaceTrackNoIR if it does the way I understand it. Right now I am using TrinusVR to get the image into my Android device, but I am having a hard time understanding the best way to set it up without all the lag or whatever. Anyway, Thanks again for replying.

Scott

• WL

WL - 2017-01-27

Many years I used a ps3-eye with ir-leds.It worked good, at least compared to other tracking options.Since Wim made it possible to use an Edtracker with a second joystick and get 6-dof this way I never used the pointracker anymore.If I want, I can fly around in the virtual sky in pitch dark or bright lighted room.This was sometimes a problem if the light around me changed I had to adjust the light intensity treshold .In my flightsim (IL2-Cliffs of Dover) I also can choose to click buttons or switches and it is realy no problem.

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2017-01-29

Thanks, Willem, I just recently bought (4) PS3Eye's for $1.00 each from ebay, or maybe it was Amazon (I cannot quite remember exactly) for another program I have on my PC, and I have yet to actually fly yet with one, but itching to.

Scott

• WL

WL - 2017-01-29

there seems to exist ps3-eye"s with different lenses.With some you can remove (easily) the built-in ir-filter for better result and with some it is inpossible.I had the wrong one and made the lens useless but luckily I found a shop where they sold already modified lenses and a filter that blocks normal light and let ir-light through.
    https://www.peauproductions.com/collections/playstation-eye-accessories

Last edit: WL 2017-01-29
  • sf4JC

sf4JC - 2017-01-30

No problem here with the IR filter installed, I have used a small piece of 35mm film to let the LED's shine. I need to have the filters installed for a project I'm waiting to get myself into.

Scott