Menu

Dirt 2 compatible? (+ framerate issue)

Archive
rogermorse
2011-03-15
2013-02-16
  • rogermorse

rogermorse - 2011-03-15

Hello. I used freetrack for three years with a home-built 3 LED system, which gave me fully operational 6 DOF. I always had 30 fps with my webcam Logitech Communicate STX. I used freetrack successfully in ARMA 2, Live for Speed, rFactor, Dirt 2 demo, NFS Shift, IL-2, Wings of Prey, GRID, Open falcon and Lock On.

I found out today that there was this facetracking system, without leds, and wanted to try it.

1 problem: I don't know how to get it working in Dirt 2 (full steam version). I tried with 'fake trackIR' but the game didn't recognize anything. With the Dirt 2 demo I could use freetrack because I used the TrackIR fixer for freetrack (I do not have track IR system)….which apparently doesn't work with the full version (securom protected). So, how to get facetrack no IR work with Dirt 2 steam full version?

2  problem - low framerate. As I said, in freetrack I always had 30 fps. I know the things about exposures, logitech software, brightness and so on…my webcam is pretty smooth that's why I always had 30 fps in freetrack (it is enough for me). In facetracknoir I cannot get more than 14. If I raise the exposure, it goes down to 8. Exposure at minimum, it goes to 14, not more. I noticed also that there is no settings (different from freetrack) about resolution, jitter, renderer and so on…I can only switch on or off, after having set up everything from the logitech software. I close logitech software, with good settings, but facetracknoir stays on 14 Hz. Any advice?

thank you

• Wim Vriend

Wim Vriend - 2011-03-15

Hello Roger,

First, about Dirt 2. Nobody has yet reported it 'working with FaceTrackNoIR' and I don't have the game myself. I think something like TrackIRFixer would be required, because NaturalPoint uses an encrypted stream in the latest version (sound like monopoly).

Then, the frame-rate. The non-commercial version of  faceAPI has some nasty limitations, of which the selection of the camera and the resolution are two. You can't select those. You also have to realize that tracking a face requires more power than tracking 3 LED's. BTW, did you have to modify the web-cam, to get it working (like remove IR-filter?). Anyway, I don't think I can really help you get higher fps (since you already know the obvious things). Perhaps trying a different web-cam (like the PS3Eye) does give you the result you want.

FYI: We are working on 'our own' face-tracker, based on OpenCV. That would not have any limitations, like faceAPI. A lot of work needs to be done…

• rogermorse

rogermorse - 2011-03-15

thanks for the reply. I have seen some videos of yours on youtube. Are you a developer?

About Dirt 2: you are right about trackIR fixer and the encryption of the stream. It worked with the demo, the fixer doesn't work with the full version because of securom protection. Tried with a cracked exe but same result. I sent an email to the trackIRfixer blog…i'll wait for an answer, I really wanted to play Dirt 2 with head tracking…GRID was a lot of fun, the cockpits are very similar.
    Dirt 2 (as GRID was, through a patch come later) is TrackIR compatible…I just thought through the 'fake trackIR', facetracknoir should have worked. Wings of Prey recognized the tracking on the first run, with the same system (it got me so much time to get it work with freetrack…there were some known problems of compatibility).

About the webcam: I tried the ps3eye that I already had at home…a bit messy with the drivers (too bad they don't have official drivers for windows, maybe you can link me something since there many different 3rd party versions)…but it is MUCH MUCH better than the logitech STX…very bright, much smoother framerate (sure also because it's got bigger lens = more light). With that I reach and mantain 30fps in the facetrack. Is there a lock on the framerate? It looks like it could go much further than 30fps even with facetracking enabled. I'll just use the ps3eye with the facetracking…although i am not happy on how the hardware is seen in windows (and also with the switching i would have to do when i want to play on PS3 with the PS move…taking away the usb every time).

thanks, good job with the software which could of course use some improvements. i'll try it soon with iRacing.

• Wim Vriend

Wim Vriend - 2011-03-16

Hello Roger,

Indeed: a developer I am…

There's not so much I can do about Dirt 2, unless someone finds a way to overcome the encryption issue. If you do find a solution, I'd be interested.

My PS3Eye works fine with the CodeLaboratories driver. Have you read the 'webcam-compatibility' page? There you can find directions on how to get higher fps with the PS3Eye (see http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/compatibility/webcams.htm). My PC is not so fast: 50fps is the highest I get. That's quite sufficient though!

Have fun!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-03-16

I cannot find a solution…I am not a programmer I would have no Idea where to start…i'll just play it with facetrackNOIR which works just as fine as freetrack (although it's a bit hard to track in the dark for the former, and to work in daylight for the latter without IR leds)….and the PPjoy emulation, that is 2 DOF with a very annoying dead zone in the middle (because of the game input).

I did the cleye.config file…i can now get stable 50fps…very cool, and it doesn't seem to require more memory nor more CPU usage.