Using FacetrackIR in dim light

Archive
Cookie
2011-03-07
2013-02-16
  • Cookie

Cookie - 2011-03-07

Hi,

First of all thank you for your absolutely fantastic piece of software, I'm using it very successfully with FSX!

But my usage is limited to daytime only, indoor lightning is apparently not bright enough for my webcam which goes all "stuttery" when the daylight disappears.

So I was wondering if removing the IR filter on my webcam would be a possible solution? Would Facetrack be able to track my face using IR only you think?

• Wim Vriend

Wim Vriend - 2011-03-07

Hello cookie,

Thanks for your enthusiastic response! That's our aim: make people have fun!

Remove the IR-filter? I don't think that would help. As I understand face-tracking (a bit) facial features are mostly recognized in the image by using something like 'templates' of existing faces (so called haar-features). Anyway, you may try it (at your own risk, of course…), but I don't think it will work.

If you do try it successfully, would you please post it again?

BTW: I use a PS3Eye and that performs quite well in darker conditions. I only have a small light-source (7 Watt) that's shining upwards. It's above and behind my monitor.