Menu

Camera specification and wearing a prescribed glasses.

Help
2023-06-11
2023-06-19
  • Anirban Kar

Anirban Kar - 2023-06-11

I am using a Microsoft LifeCam VX-2000 with maximum video quality 480p 4:3 30fps and I wear doctor prescribed glasses for constant wear. I am using faceAPI V3.2.6 and Accela Filter Mk2 and Protocol , FreeTrack 2.1 . However I find that when I start the program it takes quite sometime to capture my face if I am wearing my glasses. However, if I do not wear spectacles it captures my face immediately.

Most of the time it captures my face inclined at an angle , this sometime happens even when I am not wearing glasses and this creates a problem as I enter my sim cockpit ( IL2 sturmovik : BAT mod) with view turned away from the flight instruments panel.

Also in game if I rotate my face beyond a tipping point it stops tracking. It takes long to get back with a normal field of view.

A computer specs. : AMD FX 4200, DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz 8 GB , AMD R7 250 discreet gfx card.

Now my questions before investing in additional hardware:

1) Should I upgrade my Webcam to an HD webcam
    2) Is my computer overburdened so It is unable to track my face ? In that case should I run it on a different PC and use the FaceTrackNoIR UDP. However that would increase the complexity.

Please respond if you need any additional Info.

P.S. : I have posted an image of mine.

Last edit: Anirban Kar 2023-06-12
  • Anirban Kar

Anirban Kar - 2023-06-12

As a temporary solution I start the FaceTrackNoIR without my spectacles....As soon as the Tracker captures my face I put on my glasses :))))). But I need a permanent solution to this. Below is the screenshot of how the Tracker has captured my face. This this one of the better capture.... usually it far worse than this.

Last edit: Anirban Kar 2023-06-12
  • Anirban Kar

Anirban Kar - 2023-06-13

Adding FaceTrackNoIR UDP as the second tracker significantly speeds and betters up my face capture with my thick spectacles on.....any explanation to this? :)

• Anirban Kar

Anirban Kar - 2023-06-14

I have significantly improved my experience by adding dead zones in Yaw, Pitch, Roll.

• Anirban Kar

Anirban Kar - 2023-06-15

An appeal !!!! to include AITrack as an option in FaceTrackNoIR . Currently I am running AITrack with Opentrack and it can recognise my face instantly with glasses...It's fantastic.

• Anirban Kar

Anirban Kar - 2023-06-15

I have struggled with FaceTrackNoIR for the past six months but AITrack + OpenTrack has made my life much easier.

Last edit: Anirban Kar 2023-06-15
  • Wim Vriend

Wim Vriend - 2023-06-15

Hello Anirban,

Sorry for the late reply: we've had a short break and now I'm struggling to get started again ;-).

Like you have experienced, it can be difficult for a face-tracker to find a face, when specific objects like a big beard or prescribed spectacles obscure the facial features. However, most users do not have the problems you mention.

It may be possible to add another tracker like AItrack to FaceTrackNoIR (since it's modular). However, any face-tracker may experience the problems you described. BTW. what CPU-load does AITrack give?

For users experiencing your issues, usually I recommend using an IR-tracker instead. That way the detection algorithm only needs to search for IR-dots (this also works best in poor lighting conditions).

• Anirban Kar

Anirban Kar - 2023-06-16

The CPU load is around 40%. However these days we all have enough processing power to run it. Adding AITrack as an option will give the user with higher computing power an option to deal with face occlusion. After all Artificial Neural Network on which AITrack is built is the only way forward.

Last edit: Anirban Kar 2023-06-16
  • Anirban Kar

Anirban Kar - 2023-06-17

FaceTrackNoIR comes with a low CPU usage of 22% however it has it's disadvantages too. I would rather prefer AITrack + OpenTrack given the option to choose between the two.

• Wim Vriend

Wim Vriend - 2023-06-18

Thanks for checking the CPU-load. I did experiment with Neural Network tracking a bit myself earlier and I do see the potential. In fact, the Visage trackers used in FacePoseApp also support this.

Did you also try IR-tracking?

• Anirban Kar

Anirban Kar - 2023-06-19

No, I am quite satisfied with AITracking and do not feel the need to purchase additional hardware.