Help
vici30
2012-10-21
2012-12-12
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • vici30

vici30 - 2012-10-21

Hello.
    First of all, this is unfortunately not a tutorial, despite the title. I am the one needing help.
    That out of the way, I can begin.
    I am trying to get facetrack to work with Euro Truck Simulator 2, but it is very difficult since it is my very first time working with such programs, thus I find it complicated and that doesn't help.
    Basically, I have managed to install the program and get it to work, it tracks my face, the yellow lines appear and everything.
    I open up the game to find out that the camera does not respond to my movements. That is bad. The camera doesn't respond to the regular controls via keyboard and mouse either.
    I randomly change the curves ( since I don't understand them ) and I get the camera to move in a very very twitchy an nauseating way ( thank god I'm not epileptic ). If I keep my head still the camera is still, but if I move my head just a bit the camera goes crazy in all directions.
    I randomly change the curves again, also the protocol and this time the camera is locked, but not in the default position.
    Since the game cannot be found in the supported games section, that doesn't mean that the game is not supported, right ?
    Anyways, there is no .ini for this game, which makes things even harder,
    Can anyone explain to me step by step what to do, including curves, source and all the other panels (like protocols). At least give me some links for that.
    But I haven't found any guide to set up Euro truck simulator 2 or even any similar driving game, so any tips would be helpful.

Thanks !

• Wim Vriend

Wim Vriend - 2012-10-21

Hi vici30,

It's good that you got the program to work to the point where the yellow lines track your face. It's also good that you did get some movement in-game, since that means that the game support headtracking. I suppose you were using the fake TrackIR protocol?

I think you have v160 installed? Then you can find some info about the curves here. Basically, you should start with one curve and set the others 'inactive', by raising the Neutral Zone (to say: 50?). Then you can set one curve to a straight line, say from (0.0) to (50.50).

Se what that does in-game. Only movements in one direction should respond.

• vici30

vici30 - 2012-10-22

Nah, I tried setting the neutral zone to 50 for 2 of them but I don't get any movement for the third. Actually i don't gert any movement at all anymore. Any idea what protocol I should use ?

• vici30

vici30 - 2012-10-22

Ok so I tried harder and I managed to get some almost acceptable movement only using the Fake TrackIR protocol. The rest of the protocols didn't respond at all. Although I have 2 problems :
    1. there seems to be inverted vertical movement even when only the left-right curve is activated
    2. the movement is with a 1.5 sec delay, so it is not too practical in a game.

help.

• vici30

vici30 - 2012-10-22

More feedback :
    - it seems too sensitive, the camera floats around the general position without me moving my head ( more than breathing )

More about the random movement towards up :
    it happens in when either of the curves is activated solo or all at the same time
    i tilt my face up ( almost looking towards the ceiling ) for the camera to come down to regular position
    i tried tilting my face more but the camera won't go lower than a certain point ( the middle part of the virtual steering wheel ), however I am sure the mouse controlled camera can go there

sidenote : I can't control the camera via mouse/keyboard/steering wheel/gamepad anymore (not even after I close facetrack). Tried many setting of the game. It seems that FaceTrack somehow broke it.

• Aromen

Aromen - 2012-10-25

vici30

I'm also trying to get to work FaceTrackNoir with ETS2, but no success yet.
    Could you share how did you get the free-look to work in-game with FTN?

I'm not getting any kind of input inside the game, although I get response the same way you told in your first post (yellow lines indicating face tracking etc.).

What settings are you using then?

FaceAPI with
    Fake TrackIR I assume? (and in Settings there "Start dummy TrackIR.exe"-box checked?)

I've used FTN earlier with Arma2 and could help or offer assistance setting the curves, if I just could get the free look respond in-game first.

Using Mouse look instead of Fake TrackIR sure gives response in-game (well, head tracking data turned into mouse look works of course), but I'd really like to get that Fake TrackIR as the used Game protocol to work. I think it should work, at least I've seen few videos on Youtube that claim that TrackIR is used in them… although I haven't seen any official info or announcement made by the game developer that the TrackIR itself is even supported.

Hope to here from you soon.

• vici30

vici30 - 2012-10-25

kuukkel

I have used FaceAPI Tracker Source and FakeTrackIR protocol. All settings default, not modified ( except curves ).
    But it doesn't offer playable results. As I said before, the camera drifts upwards and I have to look up ( yes, up ) to make it go down and then I have to keep looking up to make it leveled.  Also, it doesn't respond in (close to) real time -  it takes a couple of seconds after I move my head to see the result.
    Another thing is that since then I can't move the camera via mouse look or any other form of in game control in the cabin 1st person view ( basically  the camera is locked looking forwards, if I need to look around I have to switch to the 2nd, third person camera ). The camera has been broken like this even if I closed FTN so it must have altered some game files ( random guess ).

Note that I have not used these things before and I don't know some of the concepts and stuff you said such as head tracking data turned into mouse look ( I know the literal meaning, but not the concept - specifically how did you do it, via what protocols )

Really looking forward to helping each other here ( more you than me, because I have no idea what I am doing :D )

• vici30

vici30 - 2012-10-25

Oh and I don't have any  "Start dummy TrackIR.exe" in the FakeTrack IR settings ( nor in the general FTN settings ). I have version 1.5.

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2012-10-26

Hello vici30, the bottom screenshot shows an example of what the Fake TrackIR settings tab should look like in FaceTrackNoIR v1.6.  Is there a reason you are not using v1.6?  Also, in Green Highlight, shows possibly where you would checkmark to get your view to act differently maybe.  Hope this helps.

Scott

• vici30

vici30 - 2012-10-26

Ok so I installed the 1.60 version and now I have the same problem as you, I can't get any response but from mouse look which is very chaotic by the way ( uncontrollable ). And how do I disable mouselook without having to twist my neck to click the "Stop" button ?
    It seems the problem comes from 1.60

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2012-10-26

What kind of light sources do you have in the room?  Also, have you possibly tried the Virtual Joystick Game protocol.  You would have to download a program called PPJoy to get it to work.  I could possibly help as much as I could to get it set up for you.  But 1st, I need to ask __v4friend__ if you may still be following this thread, was there ever another choice other than PPJoy, so that a person didn't have to run there computer in Test Mode or whatever it is called?

Scott

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2012-10-26

Side Note:  Just did a search for Euro Truck Simulator 2, and must say it looks quite spectacular, and so many places one can go, impressive to say the least.

Scott

• Aromen

Aromen - 2012-10-26

vici30

Thanks for testing out the 1.60 version of FaceTrackNoir.
    We're at a dead end now. Shame.. I can still remember when I wanted to start using FTN for Arma 2, I had to wait for a complete new version of the program, because I had at that time so new processor that older FTN version had some crashing problems (or some such) back then. Now that the 1.60 works fine all the way just not with this new game..

So, why isn't the Fake TrackIR working. Is there possibly a newer software version for these new games, or somekind of authentification with the real TrackIR so that 'faking' is not going to work ever?

On a sidenote! This comes from game's config.cfg-file:

**# prism3d variable config data

uset s_sfx_enabled "1"
    uset s_music_enabled "1"
    uset s_sfx_volume "1.0"
    uset s_music_volume "0.0921053"
    uset s_master_volume "1.0"
    uset s_reverse_stereo "0"
    uset g_input_configured "1"
    uset g_save_idx "2"
    uset g_adviser "0"
    uset g_desktop_tutorial "1"
    uset g_tutorial "1"
    uset g_fatigue "1"
    uset g_police "1"
    uset g_subtitles "0"
    uset g_clock_24 "1"
    uset g_trackir "1"
    uset g_steer_autocenter "1"
    uset g_mph "0"
    uset g_hshifter_layout "2"
    uset g_trans "2"
    uset g_lang "fi_fi"

See line -> uset g_trackir "1"
    I think we can figure from that simple line that game has regocnized TrackIR's presence.

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2012-10-26

Not sure if it will help, but if you use the TIRViews.dll option, does it work that way?

Scott

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2012-10-26

Also, I don't know a whole lot a bout config files, but, does a "0" mean yes, or does the "1" mean yes.

Scott

• Aromen

Aromen - 2012-10-26

Ok, so the config.cfg-line uset g_trackir "1" IS NOT triggered to "1" by FaceTrackNoir, so I come to think that it's autoset to "1" by the game developer.

sf4jc asked about light sources. What I did: yesterday I tested with more dim lighting and just now with light shining straight to my face, no difference (or: no input at all) was given in-game. FTN itself can and could regocnize face no matter of the amount of light.. Let's say it was sufficient on both occasions.

Side note: Also tested Arma 2 with FTN after a long time and it worked well, if not perfectly, but worked anyway (input was seen, yes).

• Aromen

Aromen - 2012-10-26

sf4jc

"1" is for YES.
    I'll test enabling TIRViews, as soon as I get my hands on that .dll :)

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2012-10-26

The way a person could used to get it, and I think you can still do it today, was to download the TrackIR software, which used to be free (not sure how it's done today), and then grab the DLL and place it into your FaceTrackNoIR folder.  Then you can uninstall the TrackIR software.  This process was explained to me long ago from the old FreeTrack website.

Scott

• Aromen

Aromen - 2012-10-26

Ok, got the TIRViews.dll and gave it a try. Sad to say but no help from there.
    Did also a computer reboot if that would have been of any help to get the bits and bytes straightened, was a no-go there.

• Aromen

Aromen - 2012-10-26

What is the possibility that FTN development team would look into this problem? Slim?
    This Euro Truck Simulator 2 doesn't have any option to enable/disable TrackIR usage in-game, so I think it counts that the game itself properly regocnizes that TrackIR or similar imitating program is started before starting the game.

Then I fear that this should also involve somehow the game's developer itself to open up their secrets about face tracking used in the game *shrug*…

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2012-10-26

Is there any chance you can give the Virtual Joystick Game protocol a shot?

• Aromen

Aromen - 2012-10-27

sf4jc

Took a shot with the Virtual Joystick.
    Development of the needed PPJoy program has halted (http://ppjoy.blogspot.fi/2011/05/time-for-change.html) after some long hiatuses in-between  and according to that post (that's from 2011 anyways) the PPJoy code has been released under GPL license, and almost forgotten.
    The road to get PPJoy working is rough, downloading possibly infected version of PPJoy (I found mine from a Youtube link, the version was 0.8.4.6. and yes, at least Norton internet security found that version infected. Still, OF COURSE I had to try it anyways! :) and like sf4jc was recalling PPJoy's status is still so that one needs to use Windows in Test Mode in order to get the program running. That means computer restart every time one want's to play a single game (and restarting again when changing from Test Mode back to normal).

I got to test functionality in-game. The game itself found virtual joystick. It forces the use of X- and Y-axis to steering wheel. This selection can't be taken off. The axes can be configured to different looking directions but there you have it, when you look to left, steering wheel turns to left and so on.
    Also, I don't know how to describe this better but: looking to different directions as a default goes like this; for example you press corresponding key to look left, and only when you release the key the camera stops. So that same style goes with the virtual joystick. Clunky would be the best word to describe it. Looking to different directions is very limited and not free as a user would want it to be.

• sf4JC

sf4JC - 2012-10-27

Would you happen to know if there is a demo version of this sim?  I'll go checking and see and do some testing as well if there is.  I will also need to reread a post over at the rFactor2 Forums, in particular an instince where a person was having trouble assigning the inputs, or something.  I'll try and be back within the next 3-4 hours to let you know what I came up with.

Scott

• Aromen

Aromen - 2012-10-27

vici30

Never give up :) I'd rather use what I have now (PS3-webcam and just the software that is needed), than buy Track IR. That thing doesn't even look too good what comes to user experience. Sure that thingy with three reflective leds works straight out of the box, but you have to wear a cap all the time.. or use headphones to get the thingy to hang somewhere.

sf4jc

You can also download the demo from official game website: http://www.eurotrucksimulator2.com/download.php

Comment on the 'demo mode':  "The downloaded game has no time limit on the play time, however access to some of the game areas is limited until activated. Play free to see if you like the game, and to check whether it is compatible with your computer."

Thanks for looking in to this sf4jc. Waiting anxiously what you could possibly find out :)

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks