renaming a drive

Help
will
2003-09-23
2013-05-02
  • will

will - 2003-09-23

Can someone tell me how to rename my drive..
    I think I have to use e2label with a command such as:
    /usr/local/sbin/e2label /dev/disk1s10 MyHD
    but getting:
    /usr/local/sbin/e2label: Device busy while trying to open /dev/disk1s10
    Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

??

tia
    w

• will

will - 2003-09-26

Oh arent I a silly billy.

Just incase anyone reads this and has the same problem its:

sudo /usr/local/sbin/e2label /dev/disk1s10 MyHD'

d'oh!

• Richard Gill

Richard Gill - 2003-10-15

ext2fsx is wonderful!

I can beautifully see my linux partition from Mac OS X. The drive is given the name UNTITLED by the finder, and it cannot be changed in the finder, even by root. But actually that partition does have a name, given to it with parted while I was working from linux, and it would be nice to see the correct name while in OS X. Also it would be nice to be able to give the drive (partition) a custom icon in OSX (e.g. the usual drive icon with a penguin superimposed)! Maybe these possibilities will come with a later version...?

• Nobody/Anonymous

You can rename a drive as explained by willjwade in his post with the command e2label:
      1) Unmount the ext2 drive with the ExtFSManager (in the System Preferences).
      2) Do something like:
      sudo /usr/local/sbin/e2label /dev/disk0s5 YDL
      (command usage is: e2label device [newlabel])
      You can check the device with ExtFSManager
      3) Remount the ext2 drive. It will appear with the label you've defined (in the example YDL).

Tested with Mac OS X 10.3.7 with ExtFSManager 1.3.

• Brian Bergstrand

Actually, with 10.3.x you can rename the drive from the Finder. Richard must be running 10.2.x if a Finder rename didn't work.

As for a custom icons, those are provided by the IO family device managers as they represent hardware not software. Ext2 is a filesystem plugin, IO family device drives are different beasts. You can just use the old standby of pasting a picture into the drive's Get Info panel. That will set a custom icon that the Finder (and most everything else) will use.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'm running OSX.3.9, and I had the same problem as Richard and willjwade: my ubuntu partition automounted after rebooting, but was named Untitled. I was unable to rename the volume with Finder's Get Info Panel, since I only had Read permission. And I found no way of gaining administrator rights. The unmount-run e2label-remount trick worked like a charm, though. Might it have something to do with the fact that I have different logins for MacOSX and Ubuntu?

• HandyMac

HandyMac - 2006-12-17

I'm new to Linux, recently installed Ubuntu on a partition in my iBook along with OS X 10.3.9. I came across Ext2FS for X, downloaded and installed v.1.3. The Linux volume mounts okay, but I wondered if I could give it a name & icon in OS X. I tried pasting an icon, but couldn't.

In the forum I found this thread, in which the developer writes:

"...with 10.3.x you can rename the drive from the Finder. ... You can just use the old standby of pasting a picture into the drive's Get Info panel."

But I can't do either. The volume mounts with a simple question mark ? as name, not UNTITLED; in Get Info it says "You can only read" and "Format: Unknown". In the ExtFSManager preference pane, the volume appears as UNTITLED in the list, and the Info pane says:

IOKit Name: untitled
      Device: disk0s3
      Mount Point: /Volumes/UNTITLED
      Writable: Yes
      Filesystem: Linux Ext3 (Journaled)
      Volume UUID: BBD41B90-3D34-4316-92D6-62A950A129F6
      Volume Name:
      Permissions Enabled: Yes
      Supports Journaling: Yes
      Journaled: No
      Supports Sparse Files: Yes
      Case Sensitive Names: Yes
      Case Preserved Names: Yes

In the Options panel, "Mount Read Only" is NOT checked, so if I understand correctly, the drive should be writable?

I tried checking "Mount Read Only", restarting, then unchecking it and restarting again. No help.

I thought, well, according to ExtFSManager the disk should appear as UNTITLED, and should be writable, but somehow the Finder's not getting the message; so I ran AppleJack to clear out caches, etc. Still no change.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks