Tested Platforms

norwy
2006-09-19
2013-04-03
  • norwy

norwy - 2006-09-19

Does anybody already has tested the platform with which this SDK works ?

• Norbert Nopper

Norbert Nopper - 2006-09-20

Hi,
      this SDK is designed using C++ and only standard C libraries. So it should run on each platform which supports:
      - C++
      - Standard Ansi C Library
      - OpenGL ES

I have tested the SDK on Windows and it should also run with the same code on Windows CE. Also, I compiled the SDK using the Nokia Symbian SDK and did run a sample program on the emulator.
      Please note that this is a work in progress (e.g. fixed point math is in development) and it is far from be complete.

Do you have a specific hardware target in mind to be tested?

Cheers Norbert

• Ming Li

Ming Li - 2006-11-07

Hi, Norbert,

I'm trying to run the sample00 on Nokia Symbian SDK. In this sample, the cube.ms3d is loaded and rendered.
      However, I only see black screen. I tried to render a simple triangle. It works. So the problem should be with the model.

I'm new to Symbian programming. Could you tell me where I should put the model file so that the Loader can find it?

Ming.

• Norbert Nopper

Norbert Nopper - 2006-11-07

Hi Ming,

the problem is, that the loader does not find the cube.ms3d file.

Please have a look at the MainS60.cpp file and search for Loader::setSearchPath(buffer);

There you can set the search path the loader should look for binary data. If you are
      just working on the emulator, you can hard code your path. When using your emulator on windows,
      this can be any windows path where you stored the binary data.

Cheers Norbert

PS: The path which is used in the sample is the 'Others' path located on the memory card. You can also simulate this drive on your windows machine. Debug the code and check, which drive the SDK sees as its memory card drive. Create such a directory, share it and map it with the letter drive you seen when debugging the code. Finally copy the binaries into this directory.

• Ming Li

Ming Li - 2006-11-07

Thanks for your quick reply!

In MainS60.cpp, I've changed the search path to C:\\ //Loader::setSearchPath(buffer);
      Loader::setSearchPath("C:\\");

Then I copy the cube.ms3d to my SDK directory <SDK install dir>\epoc32\winscw\c,
      However, it still doesn't work. So I suspect that the fopen will open the file
      not on the emulator's file system but on the real file system. So I copied the cube.ms3d
      to c:\. Then it works!

So in order to use the emulator's file system, do I need to call the symbian file manipulation API instead of the libc routine "fopen"?

Ming.

• Norbert Nopper

Hi Ming,

you can still use fopen and the other functions defined in stdio.h on the emulator and on a target device (I've tested the code on a Nokia N93).

The only thing is, as far as I can remember, changing the directory with the Symbian SDK does not affect the directory where fopen is operating. What I do is gathering the absolute path and use
      this path with fopen. This works both for the emulator and more important, also for the target device.

You can also gather the installion directory (as far as I know) of your installed program. Of course you can store the binaries there (which is normally done with the SIS file) and set the search path to this directory. This should work as well.

Norbert

• Norbert Nopper

Hi Ming,

one more thing:

For example, in the SDK sample code, I am gathering the memory cards drive and path. Both, on the emulator and the target device, it is e:. The problem is, that the Symbian SDK is not using the emulators file system. It is using the windows file system.

I think it is an issue with the libc library from Symbian. But this "feature" or "bug" can be worked around as also mentioned in my previous mail: Just map a directory as e: and both code works fine on the emulator and the target device.

Regards Norbert

• Ming Li

Ming Li - 2006-11-15

Hi, Norbet,

Finally I've figured out what's wrong with the fopen.
      If the project is not linked with estlib.lib(standard c lib on symbian), fopen works to some extent and read from the local hard disk as it is.
      If the project is linked with the estlib.lib, fopen works as documented. It treats epoc32\winscw\c as C:\.

Thanks for your kind help.

BTW, recently I've been porting irrlicht graphics engine on Symbian. I used your MainS60.cpp in my project. Could I continue to use it?

Ming.

• Norbert Nopper

Norbert Nopper - 2006-11-15

Hi Ming,

thanks for the note regarding fopen. This will save me time ;-)

Of course you can use the MainS60.cpp for any project - commercial or non commercial.

Happy coding!

Cheers Norbert

• vishal vasava

vishal vasava - 2008-05-29

Hi nobert,

Please guide me how to use ES3D with Symbian Emulator.

Regards,
      Vishal

• Norbert Nopper

Norbert Nopper - 2008-06-01

Hello,

can you please send me an email to norbert@nopper.tv?
        I will then send you my Symbian project files and tell
        you how to use the ES 3D Game SDK with Symbian.

Regards Norbert

• Norbert Nopper

Norbert Nopper - 2008-06-02

I did send the necessary files to your Sourceforge email address.

Regards Norbert

• vishal vasava

vishal vasava - 2008-06-14

Hi Norbert,
          Greetings. 

I have compiled ES 3D 0.4.2 and tried to run the samples with Symbian emulator version S60_3rd_FP2 . Here is the test report... :-) 

Sample00 -->works fine
          Sample01 -->works fine
          Sample02 -->CreateBoundingSphere() panics ... if you try to comment if modelManagerf::getModelf() for dwarf2 panics . if you load dwarf2 first then getModelf() for dwarf2 panics
          Sample03 -->CreateBoundingSphere() panics.... if you comment it it want panic...
          Sample04 -->Works just fine as it doesn't have CreateBoundingSphere() call
          Sample05 --> only moving light i can see ... and not the terrain
          Sample06 --> Only black screen i can see
          Sample07 --> Terrain is seen but black and white
          Sample08 --> Terrain is seen but black and white , clouds are also not seen instead white wash....

FYI, I compiled the SDK and aCosF() calls in SkyDome had to be replaced by aCos()calls...
          Also ROAM classes were not compiling as few #include missing,

Regards
          Vishal

• Norbert Nopper

Norbert Nopper - 2008-06-17

Hello Vishal,

see my answer in the root discussion group.

Regards Norbert

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks