Astra 19.2: German EPG. Howto ?

borema
2012-02-10
2013-05-30
  • borema

borema - 2012-02-10

Hi,

I've investigated a couple of frequencies using TransEdit, and it looks like there should be 30 days worth of EIT EPG data. However, I'm having trouble collecting the EIT data for the main german tv stations (Das Erste, ZDF etc.). Before I post an EPG collector log, I'd like to know if I'm inputting the correct parameters at all. Does anyone know which parameters (frequency etc.) to use? or if there is something I need to be specifically aware of?

borema

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2012-02-10

I assume the frequencies you have tried are the same ones you have tried with TransEdit. If you don't set any of the EPG Centre options you should get EIT data.

If the frequencies tuned ok but just didn't collect any data do a transport stream dump (EPG Centre will do it) and upload them somewhere, post the link(s) and I'll take a look.

Steve

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2012-02-10

A 30 sec dump will be sufficient.

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2012-02-13

I've picked up the file and will take a look tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.

Cheers

Steve.

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2012-02-13

I have looked at the file with EPG Collector, DVBStreamExplorer and TSReader. The last 2 are both commercial programs.

There is very little EPG in the file, only 63 records in total. All the above programs find the same data. However the spread of the data is from the 13/2/2012 until 19/2/2012 so there should be a lot more than 63 records.

It is possible that the data is arriving very slowly so one thing you can try is increasing the number of retries on the Advanced tab to say 20 and see if that makes any difference.

I don't see how TransEdit can find so much more data from this frequency, definitely not 30 days. How long does it take to collect the data?

TSReader shows how each PID in the transport stream is used and all PID's in the file are accounted for ie there are no 'unknown' PID's. These sometimes contain EPG when broadcasters use non standard PID's to carry data.

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2012-02-20

Any progress with locating a frequency?

• borema

borema - 2012-02-21

Yes I did, but a young familiy member involuntarily sabotaged my computer by cutting the power at a really bad time when windows was updating or something. That obviously set me back for a while :-) I'm almost done reinstalling win7 and setting up media center again. I hope to do some more investigation this weekend, but I did make some findings before all this happened.

11836.50H (Ard/Das Erste) holds 30 days wotrh of EIT data for some if not all of the channels carried on that transponder, and now/next for the rest of a list of about 100 channels carried on other transponders.

On other frequencies e.g. 11954H there is 7 days worth of EIT data for the channels carried on that transponder. I don't recall if it had also now/next for other channels like 11836.50H.

So it would seem that I need to scan a range of frequencies in order to build a proper EPG for the german channels on Astra 19.2. I have two issues with EPG Collector:

1. EPG Collector doesn't always collect all the of EIT information. I can run it three or more times in a row, and it will collect different amounts of EIT data e.g. 10 stations, 40 and 111 stations (the max I think) on the single frequency 11836.50H.

2. I tried collection from several frequencies in one go with EPG Collector. That didn't work for me. I didn't spend much time on this though, because of the computer sabotage :-)

I'm wondering if my signal is not strong enough (Hauppauge HVR4400 says quality = 94% whenever there is a signal present even though it's not a very good signal), or if my problems are due to the way the EIT information is transmitted (very slowly as you said). I tried setting the number of retries to 20 but i'm not sure what to make of the results. Maybe it was slightly better maybe I was just looking for it to be slightly better. It certainly didn't solve my problems altogether.

Did the TS dump that I'm made for you suggest a poor signal quality, or can't you tell from that?

Anyways, I'll get back to you when I know some more. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Also, I'd be very interested to hear from somebody who have succesfully extracted german EIT data from 19.2. Certainly I can't be the only one interested in that.

Bo.

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2012-02-21

There were a lot of discontinuities in the TS dump you gave me. These are sequence errors suggesting missing blocks so maybe the quality is not that good.

Also there is a small fault in the version of EPG Collector that you are using that can miss out a valid block of data after a discontinuity error so that wouldn't help either. Here is a version with that problem fixed.

http://www.4shared.com/file/rQX7Gzgh/EPG_Collector_V030200_Install_.html

With the EIT protocol it is possible to determine from the protocol when all the data has been collected. In the early days this is what EPG Collector did but there were sometimes problems when the data was broadcast incorrectly so the method it uses now is to check every 2 seconds to see if any new data has arrived.

If it tries this test for the number of retries on the Advanced tab and no new data is processed the collection finishes, so increasing the number of retries can help.

Saying that I would always expect it to list the same number of stations as that information must be broadcast every 2 seconds according to the DVB standard.

I have heard of other software taking a very long time to collect data, as much as 1 hour, but I have no idea of the way it is collected so it may be the method rather than the data that is at fault.

Let me know what the problems are with multiple frequencies in the same collection and I will sort them out. Other users do this so it should work for you.

When you have time can you do a ts dump of 11836.50 for me. The only PID's you need to dump are 17 and 18 (decimal) so selecting just those will reduce the size of the file significantly meaning you can let the dump process run for much longer, say 5 or 10 minutes.

Steve

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks