Menu

Problem when sending multi-addressed email with enigmail

2017-01-17
2017-01-20
  • JPaul Blanc

JPaul Blanc - 2017-01-17

Hello, I've enigmail 1.9.6.1 on Thunderbird 45.6.0 on MacOS X - 10.11.3. The add-on Enigmail is active, but by default the messages are not crypted and not signed.
    When I put multiple addresses (more than about 15) in the "TO" field, thunderbird starts to cycle continuously and I can't do anything unless I wait several minutes. And as soon as I add an new address it starts again and longer and longer.
    On the other hand if I deactivate "enigmail" everything goes in order.
    I think Enigmail try to find a PK for each address and it takes time for that.
    But why does it such a research when I haven't click the icones for crypting or signing the message ?

JPaulB.

Last edit: JPaul Blanc 2017-01-17
  • Ludwig Hügelschäfer

Enigmail cycles through all recipients of every mail, even when you have not activated encryption icon. It could well be that you have a per-recpient rule that automatically activates encryption or decide later to activate encryption manually.

This is all done once you change the recipient list. I have tried with 40 recipents, and Thunderbird gets sluggish, but not inoperable for minutes. However, this may depend on the machine and also maybe on whether all recipient addresses have an assioated key.

• JPaul Blanc

JPaul Blanc - 2017-01-18

Thanks for your answer, Ludwig. You said :

It could well be that you have a per-recpient rule that automatically activates encryption or decide later to activate encryption manually.

I've watched in the preferences, and actually the "Convenient encryption" was on !... I've changed for "Manual encryption" with "never automatically encrypt" and all is ok now !...
    But for me it's a bug : When the icons for encrypting and signing are off, I think encryption would have to be totally inactive, don't you think so ?

JPaulB.

• Ludwig Hügelschäfer

Well, you could decide to enable encryption at every instant of the composing process. I think, Enigmail does the right job in preparing for this situation, i.e. checking whether all recipients have a valid key.