Menu

Can’t Enable OpenPGP for one identity *without* enabling for different identity

John
2017-02-06
2017-02-07
  • John

John - 2017-02-06

Hello all,

I’m hoping someone can help me find a solution to this mysterious issue. First, here’s my config:

Mac OS X 10.10, running Thunderbird 45.7.0, Enigmail 1.9.6.1, and GPG Suite 2016.10_v2.

In Thunderbird, I’ve got 4 accounts configured:
    1) my primary personal POP account, which will use pgp encryption.
    2) My work email, using my employer’s S/MIME PKI encryption.
    3 & 4) secondary personal POP accounts.

In the account settings, I have OpenPGP enabled for my primary POP account and it works fine, but for some reason it is also showing up as enabled for my work IMAP account (but NOT my other two POP accounts. If I uncheck the box for “Enable OpenPGP…” for my IMAP account, I find that the box is unchecked for my primary POP account. I check it there, and go back to find that it is checked again for my work account. The other two POP accounts remain unaffected.

This is mainly an annoyance, because when composing messages using my work email, I now see a big “Enigmail” banner stating the message’s singing and encryption status. If I specify encryption there, it states “S/MIME is enabled - potentially conflicting with Enigmail”. I don’t want Enigmail working on this account at all.

Any ideas why the setting for these two accounts are being linked?

Thanks,

• Patrick Brunschwig

Thunderbird distinguishes between "accounts" and "identities". It is not directly visible in the Account Manager, but some settings are really settings for the account, while other settings are per-identity. The linking between accounts and identities is stored in the preferences. The Enigmail-settings in the Account Manager are identity settings.

Thunderbird would normally not do that, but it's technically possible and therefore, this may happen. I can only imagine that the two accounts both link to the same identitity.

If you're technically skilled, you can check this yourself; otherwise feel free to send me the prefs.js file from your profile directory, and I can check this for you (send the file to patrick AT enigmail DOT net).

• John

John - 2017-02-07

I can poke around in the prefs. Do you know what perferences I should be looking for? I searched on identity and came up with dozens of matches.

• Patrick Brunschwig

It would be "mail.account.accountX.identities" (where X is 1,2,3,4).

• John

John - 2017-02-07

OK, I've successfully disabled Enigmail for all but the one identity/account I actually want to use it on. Not quite sure what did the trick. On the Enabled Enigmail account, I did have a second identity configured, but it had no relation to any of the other accounts in Thunderbird. (I have yet another account that is automatically forwarded to my primary personal account, and I added the identity so that I could reply using that account as the From: email address.) Anyhow, I deleted that extra identity. After closing and restarting Thunderbird, I was able to disable enigmail on my work account without disabling it on my primary personal account.

However, even though it's disabled, I still get an Enigmail banner at the top of my composition windows for all accounts where it's disabled. Is there a way to only show this banner on the composition window for accounts that have Enigmail enabled?

Last edit: John 2017-02-07
  • Ludwig Hügelschäfer

However, even though it's disabled, I still get an Enigmail banner at the top of my composition windows for all accounts where it's disabled. Is there a way to only show this banner on the composition window for accounts that have Enigmail enabled?

No, that's not possible. The Enigmail bar in the composition window is a general property once Enigmail is installed.

• John

John - 2017-02-07

Bummer.

• Patrick Brunschwig

I'd like to clarify that the "banner" and the icons provided by Enigmail are regular toolbar elements. That is, you can move or hide them freely. However, it's the nature of the toolbar that the icons don't depend on account or identity settings.