Menu

To view each and every email, must type password.

Richard
2015-10-20
2015-10-21
  • Richard

Richard - 2015-10-20

To view each and every email, must type password.

I have thunderbird (or earlybird?) 38.3.0 running on Gentoo. I receive emails from my ISP just fine but when I try to view the contents of that email, I have to type the password for each and every email. Very tedious.

In Edit->Account Settings->OpenPGP Security->Enigmail Preferences ... the Passphrase is set to 5 minutes. Above that, it says "GnuPG was found in /usr/bin/gpg2." Clicking OK at this dialog shows another window w/ the following contents.

GPG Enigmail issue:
    Cannot connect to gpg-agent. Maybe your system uses a specialized tool for passphrase handling (e.g. gnome-keyring, seahorse-agent, KDE wallet manager, ...). Unfortunately Enigmail cannot control the passphrase timeout for the tool you are using. Therefore the respective timeout settings in Enigmail are disregarded.

I have OpenPGP installed. Also, I did the steps on this page and found no issues.

https://www.enigmail.net/support/gnupg2_issues.php

Steps 1 - 5 work just fine and I have gpg-agent running as a daemon.

Any help much appreciated.

Last edit: Richard 2015-10-20
  • Ludwig Hügelschäfer

Hi,

does your system really use a specialized tool for passphrase handling (e.g. gnome-keyring, seahorse-agent, KDE wallet manager, ...)? If yes, then Enigmail cannot do anything for you. If this passphrase handling tool can be configured to not handle passphrase for OpenPGP and thus interfere with gpg-agent, then you should try to do so.

• Richard

Richard - 2015-10-21

Fixed, required the use of the GPG_AGENT_INFO var as described in the man page.

Last edit: Richard 2015-10-21