Menu

Note on Enigmail/p≡p mode for Ubuntu (-based) systems in Enigmail 2.0

2018-03-27
2019-07-22
  • Hernani Marques

Hernani Marques - 2018-03-27

If you try to use Enigmail 2.0 with a new profile Enigmail/p≡p gets activiated by default.

However, this needs GnuPG 2.0.30 or >= 2.1.17 to function. On macOS and Windows GnuPG gets installed if not already available.

On GNU/Linux-based systems we rely on GnuPG shipped by the system, as such distributions are (always) shipped with GnuPG pre-installed.

Existing Ubuntu(-based) systems ship with a too old version of GnuPG, such that it doesn't run yet without manual upgrade to a newer version.

This will change with 18.04 (Bionic):

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/allpackages

• Daniel Kahn Gillmor

It sounds like we need to update the dependencies for enigmail in debian. is there some documentation for which versions of gnupg enigmail needs that i can reference when i'm updating the debian packaging? I see no reference to 2.0.30 or 2.1.17 in the current enigmail source.

• Patrick Brunschwig

The minimum version for Enigmail without pEp is 2.0.16. The minimum version for Enigmail with pEp is 2.0.30 or 2.1.17. But that's a pEp-requirement, not an Enigmail requirement.

• Thomas Schweikle

Does not work with Windows too:

• GnuPG:
    gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.5
    libgcrypt 1.8.2
    Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
    This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
    There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Home: C:/Users/sct-muc.BFS/AppData/Roaming/gnupg
    Unterstützte Verfahren:
    Öff. Schlüssel: RSA, ELG, DSA, ECDH, ECDSA, EDDSA
    Verschlü.: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
              CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
    Hash: SHA1, RIPEMD160, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512, SHA224
    Komprimierung: nicht komprimiert, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

• Thunderbird:
    Name    Thunderbird
    Version     61.0a1
    Build ID    20180321051647
    Update History  
    Update Channel  nightly
    User Agent  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/61.0a1
    OS  Windows_NT 6.1

• Enigmail:
    Enigmail    2.1a1pre    true    {847b3a00-7ab1-11d4-8f02-006008948af5}

Thunderbird just hangs after composing mail, then clicking send. Even save does not work as expected: it will just do nothing. Disabling Enigmail returns Thunderbird to work again.

Same problem found with Thunderbird alpha, beta and latest stable. Does not matter if it is Windows, Linux (Ubuntu 16.04, 17.10, 18.04beta). All behave the same, with the same GnuPG-version installed.

• Patrick Brunschwig

That's not neither a pEp-specific problem, nor an Ubuntu-specific problem. The problem is that there are changes in Thunderbird Daily (or more precisely: in the Mozilla platform) that break Enigmail.

I don't recommend to use Enigmail on Thunderbird Daily (i.e. alpha builds) if you need encryption. Too many changes happen too often on the Daily branch that any addon would be able to follow them.