Menu

What are the differences compared to official build with respect to Gnus & IMAP? Yours is the only working!

2014-12-08
2014-12-09
  • Mikhail Titov

Mikhail Titov - 2014-12-08

I hope someone could shed the light into my issues with Gnus. At some point it stopped working with 24.3 for no reason. That's when I tried this build and it just worked with exactly the same startup configuration.
    Now, when official 24.4 build is out, I gave it a try, but it still fails to start. It just freezes after SSL connection has been established and IMAP capabilities advertised.
    After a few C-g , here is what I see in list-processes:

*nnimap*        run      *nnimap ima... --           c:\ProgramData\Chocolatey\lib\emacs.24.4.0.20141122\tools\libexec\emacs\24.4\i686-pc-mingw32\cmdproxy.exe -c openssl s_client -tls1 -connect imap.gmail.com:993

That buffer has something like

* OK Gimap ready for requests from m.y.i.p t9mb81802125igi^M

and that is it, whereas with emacs64 build it is full of other stuff once I see my Groups in Gnus.
    I tried different openssl binaries hanging around (Strawberry Perl, Git). All of them connect fine to IMAP server, and all of them work with Emacs64 but none work with official binary build anymore. Although it used to work formerly with 24.3 and before. So it must be something changed in my setup. But I can't figure out what and why Emacs64 still works fine.
    The closest thing I saw so far is this one that has no reply. And this looks like a thread he refers to. However those variables are already set that way.

Last edit: Mikhail Titov 2014-12-08
    • zklhp

zklhp - 2014-12-09

I haven't used Gnus, so I can hardly follow you. According to my reading, your question is the difference between my build and the official one. Right?

My build use the same code base with the official build. The difference is that my build bundled with the needed DLL, while the official one not. As a recent discussion in emacs-devel list (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-12/msg00900.html), the official one may not include these DLLs. Also, some compiling optimization is used.

As for the Gnus problem, I have no idea. Sorry. If you have any other quesions, feel free to ask.