Menu

Implementation of libxc functionals with other ELK features

2015-03-02
2015-03-02
  • Nik Antolin

Nik Antolin - 2015-03-02

Hello,
    I am a happy ELK user of a few years and I find myself stepping outside the realm of the thoroughly tested calculation protocols. Specifically, I want to test various functionals from libxc in pursuit of a realistic band structure for various oxides and then calculate magnetic effects in these materials.
    I recently happened across the metaGGA functionals and thought this might be an appropriate platform to test them on. However, to calculate the effects that I am interested in, it would seem that inclusion of SOC is necessary to obtain realistic results. My most recent compilation of ELK (3.0.4), downloaded last week, gives me the following message:

Error(init0): meta-GGA is not valid for non-collinear magnetism

Does anyone have any information about the extent to which the code has been developed to utilize the libxc functions? For instance, if I recompile and force the code to accept my libxc choices, am I likely to break something or just get nonsense results? Is there an easy or at least reasonable workaround for this? I am hoping that any solution to this problem could likewise be implemented for other libxc functionals as necessary with the appropriate checking of results.
    Regards,
    Nik

• Sangeeta Sharma

Sangeeta Sharma - 2015-03-02

Hi Nik,

First let me point out the that when you switch on spin-orbit the system becomes non-collinear by definition. Most meta-GGA functionals are designed for collinear case only. So in trying to use a collinear functional in a non-collinear case you are making an error.

However, if you still want to do this here is what you do: first converge your calculation without spin-orbit (i.e. collinear with spins in z-direction). Then start with tasks =1 and set cmagz=.T.

cmagz=.T. forces your system to have moment pointing in z-direction (i.e. forces collinearity) despite spin-orbit.

Best
    Sangeeta

• Nik Antolin

Nik Antolin - 2015-03-02

Evidently I need to look into the theory of the meta-GGA functionals a little more. However, in the intervening time, I simply commented out ELK's objections, recompiled and got what I would interpret to be a meaningful result (at least from the gap, need to check on the exact band structure). I still am unsure how to interpret this result since you tell me that the functional itself cannot accommodate non-collinearity.

Thank you for your restart suggestion. I thought this might be an option but was unsure exactly how to have it set up so that the code would not give me errors.
      Thanks again,
      Nik