Errore/Note at end of tasks: IEEE_INVALID_FLAG, IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG

Elk Users
peterp
2015-08-08
2015-08-13
  • peterp

peterp - 2015-08-08

Hello everybody,
    I'm new at Elk and I am learning how to use it. I noticed that, even when running the examples, I get the following message:
    "Note; The following floating-point exceptions are signalling: IEEE_INVALID_FLAG IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG"
    Should I worry about it?
    Thank you in advance.

• martin_frbg

martin_frbg - 2015-08-12

At least in the test cases, these appear to be harmless and due to calculations involving numbers very close to zero, perhaps compounded by the suggested compiler flag -O3 for somewhat aggressive optimization that may rearrange lines of code.
    You could recompile the code with --fpe-trap=invalid to abort with a floating point exception instead so you can identify the cause in a debugger ( also add "-g" to get meaningful backtraces).
    Or see if dropping the optimization level to -O2
    is sufficient to get rid of the warning - it does on the laptop I am currently traveling with, though the performance penalty could be noticable on expensive, long-running calculations.

• martin_frbg

martin_frbg - 2015-08-13

Following my own advice, I have now played around a bit with "make test": The most common cause for the IEEE fault warnings here is a code snippet in genffacgp.f90 that is
    basically "if this variable is above a certain threshold, divide "expression" by it, else use "simpler formula that does not have that division". One of the optimizations enabled by -O3 either manages to pull the denominator test out of the loop, or, perhaps more likely, both versions of the expression are calculated and the "correct" result chosen afterwards. Adding -fno-tree-loop-vectorize after the -O3 undoes that specific optimization. test-008 exercises additional exchange-correlation code from xc_pwca.f90, the ieee traps there can be avoided by supplying -fno-tree-partial-pre to undo that side effect of -O3.
    Note that so far I have not seen any indications of actual miscalculations in connection with the underflow/invalid warnings, and I have also not done any benchmarks to assess the performance effect of dropping these two subsets of loop optimizations.