Menu

how to do doping?

Elk Users
2014-04-02
2014-12-05
  • Abhinav nag

Abhinav nag - 2014-04-02

can anybody please tell how to do doping...i want to see the effect of doping in graphene

• mfechner

mfechner - 2014-04-03

Dear Abhinav,

you can try the tag
    "chgexs"

see manual -->
    "This controls the amount of charge in the unit cell beyond that required to maintain neu- trality. It can be set positive or negative depending on whether electron or hole doping is required."

• Pericles

Pericles - 2014-11-28

Is there a way to add a single electron?

• Sangeeta Sharma

Sangeeta Sharma - 2014-11-28

chgexs

• Pericles

Pericles - 2014-12-02

1.0 adds a single electron in every unit cell.. I wanted to add one electron to the system. I think the only way may be to use supercells..

Also, is it possible to neutralize the system with a uniform positive background (jellium)?

• Sangeeta Sharma

Sangeeta Sharma - 2014-12-02

Within codes which use periodic boundary conditions, it is not possible to add a single electron to the system. with or without a supercell, you will always be adding infinite amount of charge to the systems as a whole.

Within a periodic boundary condition code possitive background is always added. So this is the default option. You cannot solve a charged system.

• Pericles

Pericles - 2014-12-02

Thanks so much!! This really helps!

• Pericles

Pericles - 2014-12-05

I have another question: I am studying Si and I want to add an electron to my system with a fixed spin, but I also would like to add it in a specific valley state (1 of the 6 conduction band minima). Is it possible to do this??