Menu

Plotting spin density

Elk Users
2017-09-08
2017-09-08
  • Li Hongfang

Li Hongfang - 2017-09-08

Hi Elk users,

I'm using Elk 4.3.6 to calculate the charge-density map on a crystallographic plane, but with spinpol=.true., the generated RHO2D.OUT file contains only one charge-density profile (which I think is the total rho), unlike in DOS and Ferni surface calculations which Elk output both spin-up and spin-down results. This troubled me a lot since I found no answers in the manual and on this forum, and I really need spin-polarized rho profiles for my ongoing work. Please tell me how to write a proper elk.in file to get spin density results, or maybe I need to hack the code to do so? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Li Hongfang

• Markus

Markus - 2017-09-08

Hello Li,

use tasks 72 or 73 to plot the magnetization density. Elk does not know about up/down electron densities, it works on the electron density and the magnetization density instead. I'm not sure about the convention in elk, but I guess that in the collinear case, m(r) = n_up(r) - n_down(r), and n(r) = n_up(r) + n_down(r), so you can do the maths yourself.

Cheers,
    Markus

• Li Hongfang

Li Hongfang - 2017-09-08

Dear Markus,

Thank you for the quick reply, I didn't come up with this method:) but you mentioned m(r) = n_up(r) - n_down(r), is this how it works in Elk? I thought the magnetization would be n(r) times of the Bohr magneton in a collinear ferromagnetic spin configuration. I'll do some test calculation, Thanks again.

Best regards,
    Li Hongfang

• Li Hongfang

Li Hongfang - 2017-09-08

My carelessness, the Bohr magneton is equal to 1 in Elk, so the magnetization density is the differential rho. Now I know how to calculate the spin density:)