Menu

Simulation results difference for PVs in different OpenDSS Version

Help
Hongda Ren
2020-04-02
2020-04-02
  • Hongda Ren

Hongda Ren - 2020-04-02

Hello, I am working on PV simulation with COM interface with Matlab. Do you know how to get old version ? I download latest version on my laptop and run my code, then I find the results does not make sense. I checked the version on the other machine, and run the same code, it gave reasonable results.

I runs same Matlab code and dss files in two version. The results make sense in old version Version 7.6.5.52 (64-bit build). I want to find that version installer.

The old version similation give all active power (blue lines) related to solar irradiation, but the latest version 861 gives abnormal PV outputs 65 phase 3 76 phse 2 and distorted outputs from 6 phase3 76phase 3 and 84 phase3.

Please help share the version 7.6.5.52 (64-bit build) installer. Thank you!

Last edit: Hongda Ren 2020-04-02
  • Roger Dugan

Roger Dugan - 2020-04-02

The latest version is 8.6.7.1. Are you sure you have the correct latest version?

The installer for 7.6.5.91 is posted on Sourceforge here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/electricdss/files/OpenDSS/OpenDSSInstaller765_91.exe/download

Version 7.6.5.52 is not available.

I would like to know what is causing the difference. There were changes to PVSystem and Invcontrol. Perhaps that is the difference.

• Hongda Ren

Hongda Ren - 2020-04-02

Hello Mr. Roger Dugan,

Thank you for the response, I guess the reason may come from the defaulted PV inverter settings. When I removed all reactive power generation request, the active power generation P is close to solar irradiation. Yes, I installed Version 8.6.7.1 (64-bit build).

If I ask PV inverter to generate reactive power Q, which is large, does the PV inverter will curtail the active power P generation from PV?

I believe the default settings may curtail active power to meet reactive power request. Could you please share more about PVsystem settings in the new version?

The old version may first enure full P generation from solar irradiation instead of P curtailment due to reacitive power demand.

Thank you!
      Hongda

• Paulo Radatz

Paulo Radatz - 2020-04-02

Hi Hongda,

Let me jump in here. There is a new property in version 8 called wattpriority and I think its default is No, it means that when kVA is exceed the inverter will gives priority to vars.

Check this discussion for more info: https://sourceforge.net/p/electricdss/discussion/861976/thread/b8a1cf4b06/#d302

You might also start to use the PVSystem2: https://sourceforge.net/p/electricdss/discussion/861976/thread/1990f782f9/#0a24

I hope it helps,

Paulo Radatz

• Hongda Ren

Hongda Ren - 2020-04-02

Hello Mr. Paulo Radatz,

Thank you for sharing that! I would like to set Watt or active power in first priority, so we can ensure fully acitive power. So do you mean I can change the wattpriority to YES in latest version?

Or we can limit the max reactive power generation after meauring active power from PVs without Q generation, then determine how much Q to generate from PV inverter. In that way may avoid that over KVA limit.

Which way would you recommend to do?

Thank you!
      Hongda

• Paulo Radatz

Paulo Radatz - 2020-04-02

Hi Hongda,

Yes, you can set wattpriority to Yes in the lastest PVSystem version as well as in the PVSystem2 version.
    The easiest way is to set wattpriority to Yes and let OpenDSS do the job.

Give a try and let me know.

Paulo Radatz.

• Hongda Ren

Hongda Ren - 2020-04-02

Hello Mr. Paulo Radatz,

Thank you a lot for the swift reply! The problem has been solved. PVs generate reasonable active powers after add "Wattpriority=yes" in PVsystem.

Thank you and have a great day!

Hongda