Memory Leaks (Cleanup?) in Ekit Applet

2003-03-18
2003-04-18
  • Daniel Cane

Daniel Cane - 2003-03-18

I'm seeing some pretty heafty memory usage on my clients. It appears that the editor when loaded uses ~10M of RAM, but when move off the page, the JVM is not returning the memory. If I go to a page with the editor >10 times I use up >100M of RAM and Java produces a nice: java.lang.OutOfMemory error.

Ideas on cleanup?

Thanks!

Daniel Cane
    dcane@blackboard.com

• Samuel Alfonso Velazquez Diaz

Could you tell  more about the scenario:
      OS/JVM version/JVM vendor/Browser.....

Regards!

• Anonymous - 2003-04-08

I also experienced the exact same behavior.  You can sit there and hit the reload button, and every time you do, it adds another ~8meg.  I was able to reproduce this on both IE and Mozilla.

Just FYI, this is a build with the Spellchecker included.  Here are the vitals:

JVM version: Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_02-b06)
      Browser: Both IE and Mozilla 1.3

Thanks for a great app.

• Anonymous - 2003-04-08

Forgot to mention, I also get this behavior from the Applet on the Hexidec Demo site.  Just sit there and hit the reload button, and watch the memory increase in the Task Manager.

• Howard Kistler

Howard Kistler - 2003-04-18

Appears to be a Spellchecker problem. Try using the version without it unless it's necessary. Also, a user sent me a potential fix, so I'm working on adding that to the next release.

Howard Kistler