2013-10-31
2013-11-05
  • Javier Arjona Sanchez

Enviroment:
    EJBCA 4.0.16
    Operating System: Solaris 10
    Jboss 5.1.0

Hi,
    When I renew my certificate, my public key is different that my before certificate. Why? Documentation says "Certificate renewal simply means issuance of a new certificate containing the same public key as an already issued certificate"

I have renew module enabled. When I renew certificate using "Renew Browser Certificate", later, I download new certificate using "Create Keystore" option from public web.

I have this CA configuration:

-Enforce unique public keys --> Enforce check it
    -Enforce unique DN --> Enforce check it
    -Enforce unique Subject DN SerialNumber --> Enforce NO check it
    -Use Certificate Request History --> Use check it
    -Use User Storage --> Use check it
    -Use Certificate Storage --> Use check it

Regards
    Javi

• Tomas Gustavsson

You need to use keystore type "user generated". Create keystore, with a keystore type p12,jks or pem, will always generate a new server generated key pair.

• Javier Arjona Sanchez

Hi Tomas,
    But then, I have one problem, because I need two functionalities:
    1) I need key recovery available in certificates --> For this, I need p12 or pem token type
    2) I need renew certificates available with the same public key --> For this, I need "user generated"

How I can have both functions at once? Are they incompatible?

Thanks and Regards
    Javi

• Tomas Gustavsson

Yes that is incompatible. What you want to do is key recovery. With key recovery you can choose to issue a new certificate, or reuse the old one.

Cheers,
    Tomas

PrimeKey Solutions offers commercial EJBCA and SignServer support subscriptions and training courses. Please see www.primekey.se or contact info@primekey.se for more information.
    http://www.primekey.se/Services/Support/
    http://www.primekey.se/Services/Training/

• Javier Arjona Sanchez

hi Tomas again,
    I don´t understand you. How can I choose this?
    I want to do this:

First I create a new user with P12 token and issue a new certificate with this user. If I need recovery this certiticate "n" times, I want have button "Key Recoverable" all times avaliable in certificate view. If this certificate is "expiring" I want to renew this certificate with the same public key.

Then, If I have in my End Entity Profile the next configuration in "Key Recoverable" section:
    - "Use" check it
    - "Default" check it
    - "Reuse old certificate" check it

How can I do renew the certificates with same public key?

Thanks and Regards
    Javi

• Tomas Gustavsson

edit thé end entity and uncheck reuse old certificate. then a new certificate will be issued when you keyrecover the certificate.

• Javier Arjona Sanchez

Ok, then, when I want to recovery the same certificate I need to have check reuse old certificate and when I want to renew the certiticate I need to have uncheck reuse old certificate.

Is it correct?

Thansk for all Tomas and regards
    Javi

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks