Using a multifunction printer to send faxes

Help
andreafc
2016-08-20
2016-08-23
  • andreafc

andreafc - 2016-08-20

Hello Forum,

I have set up efax-gtk and a CUPS printer to send faxes over the network.

The first part works great: when I choose the fax-printer from any program, it goes to efax-gtk via the socket and I can select the fax job from there. Now, since I don't have a modem installed, I would like to be able to enter the destination fax number and click on Send, and have the printer send the fax. Is this possible?

• Chris Vine

Chris Vine - 2016-08-21

I do not think that is possible, I am afraid. efax expects a modem device to communicate with. It does not use printer commands to send faxes.

• andreafc

andreafc - 2016-08-23

OK, thank you for your reply and for your wonderful job with efax-gtk.

I believe nowadays it would be an extremely useful feature, since modems are very rare, analog lines as well and most dsl modems are attached to the computer via network and not via COM line.

Having said that, the command I use from console in order to send a fax is: epfax -P <fax-printer> -o fax-number <fax-number> [possible other options] <file-name>. That's because I have an Epson printer; other manufacturers have different commands along the same line. I'm not a programmer, but I don't think it would be so difficult to add a field to set this up in the settings and then have efax-gtk send this command out, instead of trying to communicate with the modem. Am I wrong?