Menu

Fax failed: 'Maximum TIFF file size exceeded'

boldstripe
2020-04-17
2020-04-19
  • boldstripe

boldstripe - 2020-04-17

I am getting errors faxing a PDF document that is about 3.3 MB and 15 pages long.

The log file has the following lines:

+ ./base/gdevp14.c:1959: pdf14_put_image(): PDF14 device push/pop out of sync
    GPL Ghostscript 9.27: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
    Maximum TIFF file size exceeded
    Use -dUseBigTIFF(=true) for BigTIFF output
    efax-0.9a: 18:19:45 Error: missing offset to TIFF data

I have tried breaking the document into multiple PDFs of 1-2 pages each and sending it using 'Multiple Files', with the same result:

+ ./base/gdevp14.c:1959: pdf14_put_image(): PDF14 device push/pop out of sync
    GPL Ghostscript 9.27: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
    Maximum TIFF file size exceeded
    Use -dUseBigTIFF(=true) for BigTIFF output
    efax-0.9a: 18:28:37 Error: missing offset to TIFF data

This looks like two errors to me, both(?) in efax: maximum TIFF file size exceeded and missing offset to TIFF data.

What can I try next?

Last edit: boldstripe 2020-04-17
  • Chris Vine

Chris Vine - 2020-04-18

You could try adding -dUseBigTIFF to the ghostscript parameters in the get_gs_parms() function in efax_controller.cpp and recompiling, but I doubt it would work because I don't think efax can handle BigTIFF. Assuming it doesn't work, then either rescale your document page size to something more reasonable or send your document by email instead of fax. No, I don't know what utilities might carry out such a resizing for you: you could try bringing up the PDF document in a document viewer and try printing to file with different parameters.

👍
  • boldstripe

boldstripe - 2020-04-18

Thank you. I know how to compile/recompile but this 2.2 MB pdf failed while a previous 6.4 MB pdf was sent. Is it the page or the total file size that I need to be concerned about? Or both?

I will convert/shrink/re-print the document in different ways first. [edit: just noticed this PDF has an note annotation on one page that the bigger doc did not have--on 'print to file' that is removed].

Last edit: boldstripe 2020-04-18
  • Chris Vine

Chris Vine - 2020-04-19

It is the page size (or pixel size) which I think is the immediate problem.

👍