Menu

USB to serial adapter cables - fax quality

2011-12-09
2013-05-13
  • George  J. Georganas

Just to report that using a USB to serial adapter cable to connect a modem with a serial port to a motherboard with no serial port results in fax quality deteriorating rapidly at about the middle of the first page. I have tried with a number of cables, some with MCT chip, some with Prolific. I located the problem to the USB to serial adapter cable.
    Has anyone managed to get efax-gtk going using a USB to serial adapter cable?
    Thank you

• Chris Vine

Chris Vine - 2011-12-16

A usb to serial adapter works for me.  What do you mean when you say "you have located the problem to the USB to serial adapter cable"?  Do you mean that you have established that it is not the modem connected to it?

• George  J. Georganas

Thank you for your response.
    56k serial 3Com/USR Faxmodem works fine with efax-gtk when connected to serial port of the computer via serial cable. Fax quality deteriorates mid-to-end-of-page when the same modem gets connected to the same computer, but to the USB port through a USB-to-serial adapter cable.
    Perhaps it would be helpful  to report here the ID given by the lsusb command for two adapters that I have fould to cause trouble :
    ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
    ID 0711:0230 Magic Control Technology Corp. MCT-232 Serial Port
    What would be the equivalent ID of an adaptor that works ?
    Thank you again.

• Chris Vine

Chris Vine - 2011-12-27

Hi,

I use a PL2303 based device, same ID as yours.

Chris