Menu

Oracle connection url format?

Help
at nyc
2009-09-30
2013-04-29
  • at nyc

at nyc - 2009-09-30

I'm having trouble connecting to Oracle (with JDBC Oracle thin driver) using the latest Eclipse + SqlExplorer download.

At the "create new connection" form, I filled out the server/port/SID info. And SqlExplorer automatically constructed the connection url as:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@server.net:12345:SID

It failed to connect. The error message indicates the server doesn't recognize the SID as a valid service id.

My teammate, in the mean time, are able to connect using an older versio of Eclipse + SQL Explorer. On his Eclipse, the connection string looks like this:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@server.net:12345/SID

It has a "slash" in front of the SID instead of a colon!

I tried to hand edit the url but that's not an option. SQLExplorer insist on constructing the connection url string, and putting a colon in front of whatever SID I filled it. But it seems our oracle server wants a slash instead.

Is there any way to hand edit the connection string? Or are there hidden way to change the format of how the connection string is constructed?

• Heiko Hilbert

Heiko Hilbert - 2009-10-24

SQLExplorer does not construct any connection URL's. In the JDBC Driver preferences you provide a template for the connection. 
    This is used if you create a new connection. You can change it to fill in the correct connection data. 
    After createing a connection you can change it as you like. Click on your connection profile in the Connections view and use 'Edit Connection Profile'  to change it.