Menu

SQL Explorer Crashing

Help
2007-10-12
2013-04-29
  • Tom Rectenwald

Tom Rectenwald - 2007-10-12

I'm a bit at a loss here, hoping someone can assist.  I installed SQL Explorer plugin for Eclipse using the update site http://eclipsesql.sourceforge.net/.  It installed fine.  I then created a new connection to an Oracle database, went into preferences and activated the Oracle OCI Driver, pointing to classes12.jar, which was downloaded from the Oracle site.

Everything worked fine and I am able to connect to the database and run queries.  However, on the right hand side, there is a 'Database Structure' window that lists the schema.  When I click on any of the instances there Eclipse immediately crashes.

Upon re-opening Eclipse, I get the following errors:

"Error creating nested text editor - The file does not exist"
    "Error creating the view. Reason: java.lang.NullPointerException"

I don't even know where to start troubleshooting this so any help would be appreciated.  I am running Eclipse 3.3.1 & SQL Explorer 3.0.0.200609.

Best Regards,
    Tom

• Tom Rectenwald

Tom Rectenwald - 2007-10-12

Some updates...

I have been able to duplicate this crash in the following:

SQL Explorer RCP 3.5.0 Beta 1
      SQL Explorer 3.5.0 Beta 1 Eclipse Plugin
      Squirrel SQL Client Version 2.5

Note, I was unable to get RCP 3.5.0 Beta 2, or the Eclipse plugin equivalent to work at all.  While trying to add the Oracle JDBC driver via preferences, the 'Ok' button was grayed out.

I've been able to duplicate this using:

JRE 1.6.0 01
      JRE 1.6.0 02

Next step may be to try, downgraded with JRE 1.5.

Regards,
      Tom

• Iam Smiley

Iam Smiley - 2007-10-13

try disabling the auto commit and commit on close features

• Tom Rectenwald

Tom Rectenwald - 2007-10-13

Thanks for the assistance.  Unfortunately, the crash persists with auto commit and commit on close disabled.  I've also duplicated this issue with Eclipse using JRE 1.5 13 so am just not sure what is going on here.

Regards,
      Tom

• John Spackman

John Spackman - 2007-10-14

Hi,

Oracle's classes12.zip is intended for JDK 1.2; you need to use ojdbc14.jar, for both the Thin and OCI clients.  I've just seen that 11g now includes a ojdbc5.jar and ojdbc6.jar but I haven't tried them yet.

I've just built a new test VM with Oracle 10g Thin client v10.0.2.0.3, JRE1.6, Eclipse 3.3, added the 3.5.0beta2 plugin and connected to my 10g development server without problems so it sounds like a versioning issue; if changing the .jar doesn't solve the problem, can you give:

+. the version of Oracle server are you using
      +. which type and version of Oracle client is installed on your workstation
      +. whether the server and client are on the same machine

Cheers,
      John

• Tom Rectenwald

Tom Rectenwald - 2007-10-15

John, you rock!  Thanks for the help.  I switched from the OCI client to the thin client, pointed it at ojdbc14.jar and all is working perfect now.  I was using the OCI client against an Oracle 10g database located on a different server, running JRE 1.6 on my client.  This is a much smaller solution.

Thanks again,
      Tom