license for project

2013-04-11
2013-04-17
  • David K Hodges

David K Hodges - 2013-04-11

What is the license for this project(EPL, LGPL, etc)?

I see the license text included in the plugin.xml/feature.xml. If interested in reusing this component what license is it made available with?

• Boothen Technology

Hi there,

There is no license for this project, so you're free to use it as you feel. I'd be interested in knowing how the plugin was being reused and if you make any changes that they're committed back to the project.

I've created a copy of the project on GitHub. The code there is in development at the moment, but might be of interest to you.

https://github.com/boothen/Json-Eclipse-Plugin

Cheers,
    Matt.

• Bruno

Bruno - 2013-04-15

Hi Matt,

The problem is that strictly speaking, in many jurisdictions, "no license" doesn't mean "you're free to use it as you feel", but the opposite.

If you're the copyright holder, putting a licence file (even something that actually says "you're free to use it as you feel") would certainly clarify the situation, more so if you're expecting feedback or contributions.

• Boothen Technology

That's a good point. However, my comment above should clarify any edge cases. Also, I'm very unlikely to enforce any license should it be applied to the code.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks