Menu

Not sure to understand what is eclipseJDO...

Help
2004-07-13
2004-07-13
  • Tristan RENAUD

Tristan RENAUD - 2004-07-13

Hi,

I'm not sure to really understand what exactly is eclipseJDO...

EclipseJDO is not a JDO implementation ?
    EclipseJDO is only an eclipse plugin to help configure an application to use a JDO implementation ?
    Does those "drivers" (JPOX, TJDO...) are in fact JDO implementations ?
    Or are they only drivers to access some databases ?

Please help me to understand...

• Yves YANG

Yves YANG - 2004-07-13

>EclipseJDO is not a JDO implementation ?
      Right.
      >EclipseJDO is only an eclipse plugin to help configure an application to use a JDO implementation ?
      Right, all JDO 1.0.1 compliant drivers
      >
      >Does those "drivers" (JPOX, TJDO...) are in fact JDO implementations ?
      Yes.
      >Or are they only drivers to access some databases ?
      JPOX, TJDO for Relational database. FastObjects for Object database. JDO Genie integration is onging for Object and Relational database.

yves yang

• Tristan RENAUD

Tristan RENAUD - 2004-07-13

Thanks ! It confirms what I though.

Ok, so, this is a summary of what I've understood :

First off all, eclipseJDO provide a plugin to help configure and add source code to an application for a JDO persistence mechanism.

Then, to make the plugin knows which JDO implementation will be used for the application, there is the JDO drivers, wich contains parameters about were to find the JDO implementation,  and various others parameters like name, dependencies (others jars...)

Finally, this JDO persistence mechanism need to be implemented, via an api so-called "a JDO implementation", like JPOX, TJDO, or the basic one JDORI from SUN. And off course, the source code added by the eclipseJDO plugin to the application source code will use the JDO implementation configured with the Driver.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, and thanks again for the help :)

Tristan RENAUD.

• Yves YANG

Yves YANG - 2004-07-13

Yes, they are correct. You can find more information about JDO on http://www.jdocentral.com. If you are looking for a stable, robustess and universal JDO driver, http://www.versant.com is worthe a visite.

yves ynag