Versions and update sites

Help
2011-10-23
2012-12-06
  • Alexander Dorofeev

On github EclipseFP stuck on version 2.1.1 (lot of commits). Build a plugin is not a problem in itself. The problem is - install it. Eclipse says that plugin is already installed.

Maybe this should introduce a specific versions. For example:

-

- Release
    -

- Nightly build

Second problem - Update site. There eclipsefp stuck on version 2.1.0. Perhaps I and others can assist in this? Hosting, buildbot e.t.c.?

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2011-10-24

These are not problems. The update site is only on 2.1.0 because 2.1.1 has not been released yet and is only for developers to use, or early adopters that do not fear having to build the plugin themselves. We will release 2.1.1 when it's ready, not before.
    Then yes, we could use a build number qualifier, but frankly, I don't see that it's worth the hassle. Once you've installed a new version of the feature with the properly named plugin, just overwrite the plugin jar with the more recent jars. Eclipse will use the jars it finds… The install via update site option is fine for regular user and is not meant to be used by developers.

• Alexander Dorofeev

This is actually quite a big problem. For example, previously, version 2.1.0 which lies on update site, contain minor bugs (i.e. error on opening hamlet files) which were corrected in a couple of commits after release.

I agree that the update site should be based on the tested version. But now the situation is such that the installation of bugfixes - this is a big problem for the end user.

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2011-11-17

Well, 2.2.0 (formerly 2.1.1) took some time to be released because of big changes (removal of scion). Minor versions could be released more often, and now that scion-browser and buildwrapper are released independently you don't have to wait for everything. Also, if there were more people using and testing the development versions we could release with hopefully less minor bugs.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks