Tooltips are always "null"

Help
Anonymous
2011-12-05
2012-12-06
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-12-05

Hi,
    I just installed everything (also hoogle and hlint) and I think all works well except the tooltips when hovering over a function name or something. They just display "null" and the buildwrapper output is: build-wrapper-json:[null,]

How can I supply more debug info? I use Eclipse Indigo (all updated) under Win7.
    Thanks

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2011-12-09

There is no error before build-wrapper-json:[null,] in the buildwrapper console, no?

• letmaik

letmaik - 2011-12-09

Nope, just that.

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2011-12-13

I could only reproduce on modules that are not explicitely included in the cabal file (via Main, exposed-modules or other-modules). Is that your case? If so, it will be fixed in the next version of buildwrapper. Adding the modules explicitely should also solve the issue.

• letmaik

letmaik - 2011-12-14

I think I know what my problem was. I didn't have a "main" but created it as an executable which of course won't work (I just ran individual pieces through the interpreter). I changed it to library now and tooltips seem to work now, although I'm quite confused by their contents. Sometimes they say "no info", e.g. when using a data type defined in another module. I'd at least expect that it says the module name and also that I can do "Open Definition" in the context menu which doesn't work either.

E.g. in module X I define:

data A = AnInteger Integer | ABool Bool

And in module Y I define:

test :: A
    test = AnInteger 42

Tooltips and "open definition" works for the usage of AnInteger, but when I hover over "A" in "test :: A" then there's no info.

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2011-12-14

Nope, because we're using the GHC API to retrieve the thing your mouse is hovering on, and it doesn't handle type declarations, for some reason that one day we'll need to investigate. I'm not even sure that's possible with the GHC API, so we'll see. It should be possible to hack something together. I'll look into it, but no promises :-)

• letmaik

letmaik - 2011-12-14

Ok, thanks for the info. Other than that it's already quite usable. Good work!  I like it how all the tools interact to get tooltips, annotations etc.

Oh, just discovered one more thing at an annotation:
    "This binding for `x' shadows the existing binding bound at D:\Profile\…full…path..\eclipse-project\.dist-buildwrapper\src\Eval.hs:16:14"

The reference is actually the same file Eval.hs except in the .dist-buildwrapper folder. If it's possible maybe it could be shortened to: "This binding for `x' shadows the existing binding bound at line 16:14" or if it's another file in the same folder "This binding for `x' shadows the existing binding bound at line 16:14 in file Other.hs". Something like that.