Error compiling or running progams

Help
SpinDoctor
2011-05-24
2012-12-06
  • SpinDoctor

SpinDoctor - 2011-05-24

Using v 2.0.4 on a Mac with OS X 10.6.7,  with Eclipse Helios Service Release 2. 
    I don't have too much experience with either Eclipse or Haskell, so might be missing something obvious, but I haven't been any able to compile or run Haskell code from Eclipse. 
    As soon as I create a new project, the output from the Console window is:

Starting server
    opts: StartupConfig {connectionMode = StdInOut, portNumber = 4005, connectHost = "localhost", autoPort = False, showHelp = False}
    Could not process command result
    Could not process command result

And everytime I make a change to Main.hs, get more of the "Could not process command" lines.

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2011-05-24

Weird. This is not a common error. Can you see more errors or stack traces in the Eclipse logs:
    - in Eclipse window -> show view -> other -> general -> error log
    - in your file manager, go to the location of your workspace -> .metadata/.log

• SpinDoctor

SpinDoctor - 2011-05-25

It appears to have something to do with having an underscore in the name field in the cabal package.  Without really meaning to, I happened to use an underscore in the name of all of my test projects that didn't work.  But based on a clue from the .metadata error log, I tried making one without an underscore and everything worked fine.  Turns out, even just editing the cabal file to remove the underscore from the value in the name field fixes everything. 
      So, I don't know if that's a problem with eclipse FP or scion or cabal itself, but I'm all good now.  Here's a snippet from the .metadata error log for reference:

!ENTRY net.sf.eclipsefp.haskell.scion.client 4 4 2011-05-24 13:27:18.379
    !MESSAGE Could not process command result
    !STACK 0
    org.json.JSONException: /Users/grumble/Programming/Eclipse_workspace/sim_ple/sim_ple.cabal: 1: user error (Parse of field 'name' failed.)

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2011-05-27

The development branch of EclipseFP checks project names a lot more, that would alleviate these kinds of issues.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks