Launch Configurations have invisible settings

Help
Anonymous
2012-01-28
2012-12-06
  • Anonymous - 2012-01-28

When a new Launch Configuration is created, two attributes are set automatically, to be the current or first open project (of the workspace) and stanza (of the cabal file)
    Example:

<stringAttribute key="PROJECT_NAME" value="Project1"/>
    <stringAttribute key="STANZA" value="Stanza1"/>

These settings are invisible in the UI, but can be viewed in the launch file in the launches directory on the filesystem:
    <workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.debug.core\.launches

When a workspace has multiple projects or a project gets multiple stanzas, this gets very confusing, as it is impossible to know which Launch Configs match with projects/stanzas.

Workarounds:

1. Only use one project and stanza in each workspace
    2. Edit .launches files on the filesystem, then Restart Eclipse -> but if I try this, I get an error like Could not start the process
    Cannot run program "C:\data\projects\haskell\SaveEndo\.dist-buildwrapper\dist\build\MyStanza\MyStanza.exe" (in directory "C:\data\projects\haskell\MyProject\work"): CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2012-01-29

Can't you rename the configurations to what you want? Actually, I think at one stage we have the project name automatically in the configuration name. But how do you create that configuration? Usually you right click on a project or an executable, so the project and stanza are the one you chose…

• JP Moresmau

JP Moresmau - 2012-01-30

I still don't understand the issue, after checking the behavior. Either you launch a Module via GHCi, or an executable (or test-suite). The executable come from executable stanzas in the projects, and if you run cabal install, they will be copied in one directory. So there's no way you can have several projects defining executables that have the same name anyway, or you just get into troubles later. And of course you're not going to have several stanzas with the same name in the same project cabal file! That's why I never really seen this as a problem. I have the buildwrapper project in my workspace, that defines buildwrapper and buildwrapper-test as exe that I can launch. There's no confusion there.
    For modules launched in GHCi, the name of the project is included in the configuration name, so you can have several Main.hs launched and never get confused.

• Anonymous - 2012-02-04

I think I caused the problem by some combination of these:

* Renaming a project
    * Bulk copying or moving files from one project to another
    * Having errors that prevented buildrwrapper from completing a build.

After creating a new workspace and projects, I haven't had this problem.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks