RB-Editor in Eclipse 4.4

2013-12-09
2014-07-20
  • imam.developers@wsc.biz

Hi,

I've updated my Eclipse to Luna 4.4 and copy the 0.8 sources in the plugin directory. After restarting, the rbe is not available. It's a pity. Are there any fixes planned for this?

• Eric Chow

Eric Chow - 2014-07-15

I also face this problem. Hope can be solved as soon as possible!

• Francois MASUREL

And same problem with last update of Kepler :-(

• Ubqtous

Ubqtous - 2014-03-31

The latest versions of Eclipse no longer support the old plug-in format (it was deprecated in an earlier version) and instead require the newer OSGi format (though they appear to be working on an optional feature to support the old plug-in format: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=407312).

However, using the "Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment" in Kepler (or earlier, perhaps) you can easily generate the "OSGi manifest" that recent versions of Eclipse now use. Here is what worked for me:

1. Download the ResourceBundle Editor ZIP and extract it.
    2. Install, if necessary, and launch Eclipse Kepler and then make sure you have the Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment installed (from the Eclipse update site). Here's what I used:
      • Eclipse Platform 4.3.0.I20130605-2000 org.eclipse.platform.ide
      • Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment 3.9.1.v20140221-1700 org.eclipse.pde.feature.group
    3. Create a generic project (not a "Plug-In Project") with the contents of the /plugins/com.essiembre.eclipse.i18n.resourcebundle_0.8.0/ folder you just extracted from the ZIP as the root of the project, i.e., you should see a "plugin.xml" file in the root of your project along with several other files and /icons/ and /nl/ folders.
    4. Open the plugin.xml file with the "Plug-in Manifest Editor"
    5. Under the "Plug-in Content" section of the Manifest Editor, you should see a message that says "For this plug-in to be able to run in future releases, you must create an OSGi bundle manifest". Click the "create an OSGi bundle manifest" link. This will create a new folder and file off your project root: /META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    6. Exit Eclipse and go back to where you extracted the ZIP contents on your file system. You should now have: /plugins/com.essiembre.eclipse.i18n.resourcebundle_0.8.0/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    7. Copy that /plugins/ folder and its contents (including the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF you just added to it) into your target Eclipse install directory's /dropins/ folder, e.g.: [Eclipse application folder]/dropins/plugins/com.essiembre.eclipse.i18n.resourcebundle_0.8.0/
    8. Start your target Eclipse and you should have access to the RBE plug-in once again!

Last edit: Ubqtous 2014-03-31
  • Lukas Zaruba

Lukas Zaruba - 2014-06-26

The 0.8.0 version can actually run in the Eclipse Luna. You need to install support for obsolete bundles.
    It can be found in Install new software... action under the category "Eclipse Tests, Examples, and Extras" by the name "Eclipse 2.0 Style Plugin Support".

After installation of this plugin, RBE appears in the menu like a charm.

Cheers

Lukas

• Stefan

Stefan - 2014-06-30

Hi guys, I can provide a prepared version for you which works with Luna. Just drop me short note.

I also asked the author of this tool whether he is interested in sharing this as download on this side. So it might be available soon as direct download too.

Cheers, Stefan

• Błażej Kubiński

The 0.8.0 version can actually run in the Eclipse Luna. You need to install support for obsolete bundles.
    It can be found in Install new software... action under the category "Eclipse Tests, Examples, and Extras" by the name "Eclipse 2.0 Style Plugin Support".
    After installation of this plugin, RBE appears in the menu like a charm.
    Cheers
    Lukas

Thanks! It worked perfectly.

• Pascal Essiembre

Hello, I am the original author of this plugin. I finally got time to work on it again (it has been a very long time). Has of now, the project is no longer maintained on SourceForge. I migrated it to GitHub: https://github.com/essiembre/eclipse-rbe

There you will find release 1.0.0 working just fine with Eclipse 4.x (tested with both Kepler and Luna). You will also find... an update site!

Enjoy and do not hesitate to submit your issues questions on Github from now on: https://github.com/essiembre/eclipse-rbe/issues

Thanks to all of you SourceForge users!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks