Menu

Problems connecting

Help
2000-08-15
2000-11-07
  • Jeff Hummel

Jeff Hummel - 2000-08-15

I ran the older 1.0.0 version fine, but would like to get the newer version working.  On the server side I get a 'Quit exception from Bad Handshake/Protocol' error every time I try to create a new user.  I downloaded the code from CVS and from the depository.  Any ideas, help?

Thanks.

• Chris Carlin

Chris Carlin - 2000-08-15

Did you pull from CVS recently?
      In the last week I updated the archive to sync things back up. The problem was caused by a mismatch in versions between client and server.

I'm still getting reports that things are amiss, but I don't have time to look at it now. Maybe in a week.

Go ahead and give it a shot though.

~Chris

• Nate Gelbard

Nate Gelbard - 2000-08-18

I'm looking at using EBJava for a QA team I just joined. It seemed like the best choice
        among all the OSS instant messaging platforms avail.

I sucked the newest src from the CVS, but am experiencing the same problems as
        jammin2745. Bad Handshake/Protocol.

Is there a walkthrough demo of the protocol I can look at to see where this is failing?
        I know java, so I might be able to help. You're code is very clean and easy to understand!
        I tried telneting to 1981 & giving it some commands, but it hangs up on me right away.

thanx
        natez

• Kevin J. Slater

Kevin J. Slater - 2000-11-07

Well, I'm seeing the same thing as you guys. I just pulled down the code and compiled it, so it's still out of whack. Since I just joined up to take over administration I guess it's my job to get to the bottom of this. I'll take a peek around in the EBServ side of things and see what I can find. Hang in there.

...Kevin

• Chris Carlin

Chris Carlin - 2000-11-07

Hmm, I was hoping this was all taken care of... I thought you said you could connect.
            Well anyway, the problem is that the versions of the client and server are out of whack... there was a change in the log on protocol and for some reason the change won't upload.

It all works on my computer, so maybe I'll just tar up all of my EBJava directories and send them to you, Kevin. That should get you compatible versions.

~Chris

• Kevin J. Slater

Kevin J. Slater - 2000-11-07

>It all works on my computer, so maybe I'll just tar up all of my EBJava >directories and send them to you, Kevin. That should get you compatible >versions.

When I downloaded and extracted the source from the tar files off the download page, they work. If I cvs checkout the source code and compile that the EBNet.java file from EBServ has a problem. Basically, it doesn't look for EBBIN as a valid message from a client and shuts down the client socket.

It will be a good exercise for me to diff the EBNet's and get the CVS repository back into shape.

...Kevin