Menu

plugin maintenance

2006-06-14
2013-04-30
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Q: after installing EasyEclipse - LAMP edition, I notice the plugins are not set up using the URLs such that they will auto update when new releases are put forth.  Is there a reason for this?

Is it that there needs to be testing before trusting the plugin developers?  I.e., it's stable when "we" say it's stable.

• jonkushner

jonkushner - 2006-06-14

Thats a good question. What about the other plugins? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that its an eclipse build, so the plugins only update on superceding builds?

• Philippe Ombredanne

Actually there are a couple things are at play there:
      - the update url is there hidden in the feature, and if you go to the menu help/software update/find and install/search for update for the currently installed feature  you will get a message that no new updates were found, after checking the eayeclipse update site.
      We need to have that URl show up in the update manager (that means using a branding plugin I think)
      That update URL is always pointing to easyeclipse and never to the possible plugin developer update site, BTW.
      That's because the whole purpose of a distro is to have a set of plugins that play together well, and you can only verify/test that in the context of the distro with all plugins installed. The upstream plugin developers may or may not have made that test so we tend to be cautious and prudent there, to have the chance to make some test first.
      And have a possibility to provide verified updates through our own update site. :-P

- also we have not yet released anything as updates. This is part of the plan but not yet for the betas. The reason why is that we need to stabilize the distro first, and its packaging.

-I do not like much the update UI and the fact that it crashes randomly on network errors. The update core has been significantly beedfed up in 3.2 but the UI still is subpar.
      So what I would like to have for update is something as simple as the firefox software updates, in terms of UI on the one hand, and to have more reliable so that network glitches do not crash the update on the other hand.

• Philippe Ombredanne

I am not sure I was clear: we will provide an update site and make plugin maintenance much easier, but not right away. It is in the works :-P

And yes there is a need to test a new plugin in the context of the distro and the interaction with all other plugins installed.