Menu

EasyEclipse for Windows but in eg. .zip

2006-06-27
2013-04-30
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Would it be possible for You guys to release windows version of EE but as an archive? I use Eclipse a lot and I found Your project very , very useful. ...and one thing that bothers me is that You do not provide EE as an archive.
    I work in a company, where without admin privileges I cannot install a thing, so running EE from extracted archive would do.
    ...so if it's possible I'd like to see an archived version of EE as an option to dowlnoad. It would be great!
    Thanks

• Philippe Ombredanne

Humm... the windows installer creates a registry entry to keep the last install location, but I think we could very much have an option to write nothing in the registry, this is not really critical, far from it.
      I think that would be the only reason why a non-admin would have that problem?
      The reason I am asking is that for plugins, there is more to the installer than just un-zipping. An eclipse extension link file is created too.
      So a zip would not work.
      But I think an installer that would optionally not write to the registry would be fine...
      What do you think?

What is the error message you get during the install?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi
      The error message I get is acutally a message indicating that I have no provileges to perform installation. The environmetn in which I work has very strict rules and there is no way I could change a thing. Touching registry is also not an option.
      If you could make an installer which won't be treated as a setup or any similar, that would be great. What is more, building zipped version would create an opportunity to make eclipse some kind of "portable" solution. Installers depend on permissions, rules etc. , zipped  archive can be actually restored to whatever location you want.

So, if creating zipped version is not a problem and there is a space available for one more file at sourceforge why won't you try?

I really appreciate your work but if you want to make it succesful, try think as a target user and no only as a developer.

Please  check whether there would be any interest in putting zipped release on the net.... and I think that not only me woulde be happy to see it.

Thanks

• Nobody/Anonymous

No sweat, I have absolutely no issues with a Zip... in fact our first previews were all zipped, then we switched to an installer which offered better support for managing the insall of plugins.
        A zip should not be a problem for the next drop.
        But I would want also toe xplore an installer that writes nothing at all in the regsitry and could work in your secured environment.
        Both should be helpful I hope.
        In the case of additional plugins, a zip is typically not an option as there are link files to write which must contain hard path. But there is no need to write anything in the regsitry.
        What distro where you looking at?
        And is there a way to contact you when I get a more friendly zip and installer out?
        You can email me directly at pom @ nexb . com

• Nobody/Anonymous

One thing, could you enter a feature request?
      Preferably logged in so you will notifications on progress there.
      I would really like to ping you when we have stuffs out, becasue I have no way to reproduce your setup :-P