Menu

Any chance for a Pocket PC port?

2003-12-14
2013-04-03
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I loved this program when I used my old Palm...  But I've moved on to bigger and better things.  Now I'm using an HP iPAQ (ARM CPU) and I was wondering if there was any chance of a port at anytime...

Love the program.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Oh yes PLEASE!!  I love this program, but I just got an Ipaq 5555, and that is one thing that is sorely missing.  Maybe even just a SuperWaba port?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I am in the same boat here.  I have looked high and low and am yet to find a calc have as good as easycalc.  Makes me regrett going with the ppc.

• Adil Hafeez

Adil Hafeez - 2005-04-30

I am willing to work on the port of EasyCalc for Pocket PC. Is there anyone else interested in development. If yes, please please let me know.

My long term plan is to port it for windows platform as well (porting to windows platform will not be much difficult after ppc port, since ppc and windows are very similar).

Cheers

- Adil

PS. I love EasyCalc

• Nobody/Anonymous

Here here! I too use Easy Calc whenever my TI-89 isn't handy. There's the TI emulators, but they're pretty slow, and I'd love to have Easy Calc on my Axim.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Please please! I've been lost in mediocre calculator land for some time now with my ppc. Either the developers of other calculators don't spend any time actually using their program or they use it too much and are lulled into 'the way' of using their program. Easy Calc is just that. Easy. And powerful. Everything you might need before you have to step to a computer and use Matlab. Please make a port for the PPC!

• Nobody/Anonymous

I echo everyone's plea for a PPC port. I loved this program on the Palm, but I've since purchased a Windows Mobile PDA, and I haven't found anything that comes close to EasyCalc.

• Ton van Overbeek

There are currently no plans for a Windows Mobile port.
      If somebody is interested to start a port, please contact us and we could set up a specific branch in Subversion for the port.
      In the meantime have a look at StyleTap (http://styletap.com) which allows you to run PalmOS apps on Windows Mobile. I do not know if EasyCalc runs under StyleTap, but it is worth a try.
      If anybody succeeds to get it running under StyleTap please let us know.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2008-01-18

Yes, EasyCalc runs under StyleTap - so far I have not had any problems. In fact, I am running more Palm Pilot programs than native PC apps. For me, it is the best of both worlds - quality hardware and quality software, instead of mediocre hardware with quality software or vice versa. I do hope my Pocket PC lasts longer than any of my Palm Pilots.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I am interested to do a port.

I had an old Sony Clié. I switched to a WM6 Asus for the life of the battery (days compared to a few hours ...), and because it seems that Palm is disappearing (rip).

I loved EasyCalc, and nothing comparable exists on PPC, or you have to pay. And even then I don't think one can get an equivalent. So after I bought my Asus and found the poorness of the the area on PPC, I decided to put my hands in it.

I've developed a lot in my life, with many languages including odities like LISP, Cobol or Prolog, and I have a significant mathematical background. So I feel comfortable doing that. But I didn't really program in win32 so far. I am then currently learning, while writing the PPC EasyCalc version I have in mind. Therefore, do not expect me to be too fast in getting something to the community.

I decided to inspire from the Free42 calculator code (http://free42.sourceforge.net/) for the development of the UI, while keeping the EasyCalc engine behind. And for the look & feel, I'm using the screen of my son's TI83+, and the keyboard of my very old SHARP PC-1401 :-)
      Also, I would like to be able to use the "Norm" mode with my fingers like a normal calc, so I'm going to simplify that panel a bit to make it easier for big fingers.

Ok I am sure a lot of people will have ideas about how the intf could look like if I change it, I am sure some people would like to stick to the current one, and some others wouldn't like the choices I've made above.

Well, too bad, I am not asking for suggestions :-) Or I will be overflowed. But if you want to suggest, go on, I'll read, and if I just don't answer, that doesn't mean I won't take some of the ideas.

@Ton van Overbeek:
        I had previously sent a mail to ondrap@penguin.cz asking him if he had any problem with me doing a port. The mail is below. As I got no answer, I am now proceeding with the above choices. If there is any problem with that, let me know.
        Let me know also how I should contact you once I have something visible, even if poorly running, for putting that in a specific branch.

Cheers, Mapi.

---------------------------------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:03:23 +0100
      To: ondrap@penguin.cz
      Subject: EasyCalc
      Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
      Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Ondrej,

I was using EasyCalc on my Sony Cli=E9 P675 which is quite old now. I =

had to replace it, and given that Palm is going down and that its=20
      financial situation is not very good, had no choice than to go to a=20
      Windows Mobile PDA in order to get things like a good GPS system :-(.

Have you ever considered creating a win32 mobile version of your=20
      software ? Do you know of anybody who has done so, so far ? Or would you =

mind if I took a look at it ? I have a lot of experience in programming, =

not much with the Win32 interface in particular, but I do not expect it=20
      to be a difficult one. Not that I like it, but necessity makes the law ..=

Let me know how you would see that, openly, as I wouldn't do=20
      something with your source that you wouldn't like.

Happy new year, Mapi.

• Nobody/Anonymous

@Ton van Overbeek:

Hello, I've done most of the user interface stuff, I am now trying to link it with the core code, reusing as much of the original files without touching them if possible.

However, this is not easily possible. The EasyCalc code was not coded to isolate very well what is PalmOS specific for interchangeability with another platform.
      Can we talk on how to restructure the code for easing that task ? Else, the new branch will be quite different from the old one, and it will be difficult to keep both in sync.

Could you leave a message here on how I should contact you for that purpose ?

Thanks, and best regards, Mapi.

• Ton van Overbeek

Just send me an email at my sourceforge.net email address:
        tvoverbe@users.sourceforge.net

• Mapi Bid

Mapi Bid - 2009-10-20

Just a piece of news, after a while of integration efforts, trying to keep the core code as isolated as possible, but integrating it with the new user interface, I am close to deliver a first version based on 1.25 for PPC. This version is skinnable and translatable by the user, but still lacks features like lists, matrices and graph.
    Anybody interested in playing the role of beta tester, let me know here.

Cheers, Mapi.