Menu

A library step file does not import properly

Help
2022-07-10
2022-07-26
  • David Smart

David Smart - 2022-07-10

Of hundreds of library models/components that I have, one step file does not get processed properly as a component in a project. It seems to shift the sub-parts in the model differently than the overall part. The component of interest is a small display module (a PCB of its own with components). In the same project I have a different module that is also a PCB and components, and it works ok (as have many others).

The model came from a web site, so perhaps there is something unique about it that causes this issue - however it opens (or imports) in FreeCAD and appears as it should.

I've attached a few pictured of it rendered in FreeCAD. You can see the poorly imported version and nearby is a manual import of the same step file.

I may yet build my own version of this small module from scratch (which will probably give me a solution without this odd behavior), but thought I'd also offer this to you as a small, and hopefully reproducible challenge.

In the attachments I'm offering a few things aside from some pictures - the Eagle brd file and a few of the FreeCAD library parts for this PCB.

Environment: Win11, Eagle v7.7.0, FreeCAD 0.19 (and it behaves the same on FreeCAD 0.20).

Side Note on FC 0.20: I opened nearly a dozen other projects (Eagle .brd files of various complexity) and they all seem to work just fine. FreeCAD PCB does offer a message that it is only compatible with FC 0.18 and FC 0.19, which you may be able to bump to 0.20.

Thanks!

• Mariusz

Mariusz - 2022-07-26

Hi,
    fixed model is in attachment.

This is FreeCAD's "bug" - the "compound" function does not take into account the parent node position.

"Side Note on FC 0.20: I opened nearly a dozen other projects (Eagle .brd files of various complexity) and they all seem to work just fine. FreeCAD PCB does offer a message that it is only compatible with FC 0.18 and FC 0.19, which you may be able to bump to 0.20."

Okay thanks. I will change that in the future.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel