Menu

E4RAT slower than ureadahead

Anonymous
2012-11-17
2013-05-28
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-11-17

Sadly, insead of reducing boot time, on my machine, which is running Kubuntu 11.10 it makes booting slower by 14s.
    With ureadahead it amounts to 50s and with e4rat 1'14''.

With respect to running apps, nothing has changed although I'm already using preload and prelink so, it's possible that everything is as fast as it can be.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-11-17

Sorry, for what it's worth, I've forgot to mention that it is 32-bit Kubuntu 11.10

• conso

conso - 2012-11-26

I am pretty shure your linux would start much faster than 50 seconds when your are using e4rat correctly. Just for fun disable preload, readahead and prelink (I have never heared about prelink before). Make shure to have enough disk space so that the fragment count of e4rat-preload is about 1.
    If your file list is very long you can split it up to preload all files in two stages.

Have fun!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-07

Hi conso, thanks for the reply, :)

Yes, I did try with disabling preload, prelink and even purged readahead but that didn't help any. Can you please, provide a link to a comprihensive tutorial showing how to configure e4rat correctly? I did only a basic install and don't know how to tweak it.

Also, I don't know how to check if fragment count of e4rat-preload is about 1.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-07

BTW, for your info, here is a link that describes prelink in some detail.