I guess you could save people lots of time if your home
and/or download page would clearly state in a single,
prominent place that "Epic 0.3.0 requires Eclipse 3.0 or
higher, which in turn requires Java 1.4.2 or higher, and
the debugger plug-in that comes with Epic 0.3.0 requires
Perl 5.6 or higher."
Your home page did say that Eclipse 2.1 was no longer
supported, and I eventually found a reference to the
Perl version required by the debugger plug-in in the
User's Guide (unfortunately only after I had succeeded in
getting the debugger plug-in to run by guessing that the
Perl version m imight be the problem, and trying whether
a different one might help), but why is the information
on required software versions strewn all over the place?
I had to search Google Groups to find out that Eclipse
3.0 required Java 1.4.2 or higher (and that after I had
made it a point to use Java 1.3.1 as a special favor for
Epic, as a previous Epic version came with a warning
that I shouldn't use Java versions newer than 1.3 on
Solaris because they are somehow broken!), and I
figured out the Perl version issue by trial and error
(because none of the error messages I got gave any
hint that the errors might be due to the Java or Perl
version used). My org.epic.updatesite and Eclipse-SDK
downloads are timestamped between 1:45pm and 2pm
local time, now it finally works, it's 6pm local time and I
don't think I did much of anything else in the meantime,
so it took me about 4 hours to get my Epic update to
And yes, I did look on your home and download page for
software requirements, but there didn't seem to be
anything beyond the required version of Eclipse.
By the way, as it turned out that the Perl version was
the problem with the debugger plug-in, maybe I could
even have gotten the debugger plug-in in my previous
version of Epic (0.1.0 with debugger plug-in 0.0.7) to
work by installing an appropriate version of Perl, so there
might have been no need for me to update my copy of
Epic from 0.1.0 to 0.3.0 in the first place. I had simply
given up on the debugger plug-in of Epic 0.1.0 and
assumed that it didn't quite work yet.
Log in to post a comment.