EPIC has always worked beautifully for me until recently when I reinstalled my FreeBSD machine after a HDD failure.
Now I can still work but EPIC is giving me constant problems with the function outline view and the syntax checking.
For the outline view the problem is this:
The outline is displayed correctly, until I type in some stuff into the file usually involving braces. At that point EPIC tries to refresh the outline I guess, and it all goes wrong. It creates a bunch of MAIN categories with one single function under it. And it also just plain out fails to list some of my functions.
Another problem is sometimes when I click on a function, it doesnt jump to its declaration, but to another spot on the file completely.
The syntax check is just flat out saying things that are right are wrong. (I know theyre right because the file executes) If I put my mouse over the red icon it has an issue with brackets missing, but none are missing. I think this is tied into the outline problem somehow. If I close and reopen the file it all works properly again for a while.
Im using perl5.8.9 and EPIC 0.6.34 I tried to downgrade to the stable 0.5X version and the same issue was happening.
Is anyone else having these types of issues? Should I downgrade my perl back to 5.8.8 or maybe downgrade to another EPIC version? Thanks for the help and thanks for EPIC!
I have the same issue - happens when you add an extra closing brace by mistake, which with auto-complete, is quite common.
The only way I've found to reset it is to close and reopen the file.
Clint, if you can reproduce this problem, I'd be interested in a sample source file and exact steps. Simply inserting closing braces into various locations of a file does NOT mess up outline in 0.6.34. I have seen this problem too, but very rarely and I've never got a chance to systematically reproduce it.
To the original poster:
The syntax checking code is independent of the outline - it just runs perl -c and marks up those lines that were reported as errors/warnings by it. You can re-run syntax checking from the menu without closing and reopening the file. If it is still reporting problems after that, my wild guess would be that the source text displayed in the editor is not the source text passed to Perl for some reason.
I doubt that it has anything to do with Perl or EPIC version. It's more likely that something has changed in the environment in which you use EPIC - maybe the configuration settings or maybe the edited source files (mixing tabs/spaces perhaps? or some syntactic constructs that you weren't commonly using before).
I stand corrected - after my first unsuccessful attempts I managed to reproduce it by adding a closing brace after a subroutine's ending brace. I even managed to bring the outline into a permanent messed up state using one source file. I'll investigate further...
For the record, the outline problem was previously reported here: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1874581&group_id=75859&atid=545274
The fix that will prevent outline from becoming messed up due to superfluous closing braces is now released in 0.6.35.
v 0.6.35 jploski++
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the help. This may be useful to you, I can also email you the source file If you like.
Im as sure as one can be, its the same file in EPIC as it is in the console. Its linked directly in my projects, and If I edit the file in VI, eclipse will ask me to reload it.
If I close and open the file, the error is still there. However If I delete the function and paste it somewhere else in the file the error is gone. This is happening to me at random times. I will keep an eye out and try to find an exact way to reproduce it.
I guess its worth mentioning, I have the VI input plugin installed and enabled.
Jan you are quite the awesome. Will download and install. Thanks.
Works great. Nice job. Thanks again.
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.