Menu

EPIC now in Fedora

2008-04-30
2013-05-20
  • Jack Tanner

Jack Tanner - 2008-04-30

I'm stealing Mat Booth's thunder, but EPIC will shortly be available in Fedora (definitely in F9, due out in a couple of weeks, and possibly backported for F8 as well).

During the reviews I noticed that there was a dependency on gnu-regexp. Why is that? Is java.util.regex.Pattern insufficient?

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-05-01

Which version of EPIC is going to be included?

The dependency on gnu.regexp is historical only. I've replaced it by java.util.regex in some source files that I modified, but not everywhere. I vaguely remember that java.util.regex was not just functionally equivalent, but more efficient, too.

• Jack Tanner

Jack Tanner - 2008-05-01

Fedora is apparently tracking the unstable branch.

Once it's in the build system, it should show up here:
        http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=6115

You may also be interested in the discussion regarding its review for inclusion:
        https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=426884

Will you take patches for replacing gnu.regexp with java.util.regex?

By the way, a suggestion for the homepage: the Downloads link points to outdated version info, and there's no pointer to EPIC's CVS.

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-05-01

Tracking the unstable branch is good.

Regarding the review, I don't have much to add. The ANTLR warnings are because the grammar specifications were hacked together in hurry (a trial-and-error process more than relying on any specifications). As far as the test suites are concerned, there are two of them: the first one - classes in "org.epic.perleditor-test/src" - contains low-level standalone JUnit tests that don't generate false alarms. Perhaps the most valuable among them are those that exercise the ANTLR grammars. The second test suite - classes in "org.epic.perleditor-test/src-pde" - contains JUnit tests that can only be run within a hosted Eclipse workbench. Some of them do generate false alarms depending on the environment - they are basically only guaranteed to run on my machine.

I will take patches for replacing gnu.regexp with java.util.regex. Just take care that you test that the replacements are still working.

A link to CVS is available from the menu on the home page. The downloadable files are outdated because I am too lazy to go through the sf.net file management workflow on every minor release. One day I might automate it. Meanwhile, I just added a note to the downloads section.

• Mat Booth

Mat Booth - 2008-05-01

Hi Jan, I'm the guy who packaged Epic up for Fedora.

Thanks for posting on here, Jack. It was a bit remiss my part not to really.

One quick question for you, Jan: Would you be willing to update to the latest version of JDOM? In order to get Epic into Fedora, I wrote a small patch that fixes its use of APIs that have changed in the last major version bump. It's not a big patch and I have been using it since Christmas when I first submitted the package for review without trouble.

Here's a link to it: http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/rpms/eclipse-epic/devel/epic-jdom-api-changes.patch?rev=1.1

Regards,
            Mat

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2008-05-01

I upgraded to jdom-1.1 and applied your patch in the just released 0.6.23.

• Mat Booth

Mat Booth - 2008-05-03

Excellent, thanks!