Menu

Jazz Jackrabbit 2; 16 bit mode causes black screen

Gagster
2016-12-01
2016-12-02
  • Gagster

Gagster - 2016-12-01

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 works as intended in 8 bit color mode, but as soon as I swith to 16 bit color mode, the screen goes black. Other than that, it seems like only the graphics got lost; the sound and gameplay are somehow still intact (like playing a videogame while being blind).

I used the supplied Jazz Jackrabbit 2.dxw file as a template. As of yet I have not been able to find any settings that cures the 16 bit mode in this anciend game.

• gho

gho - 2016-12-01

I gave it a try, ol' Jazz is one of the best platformers ever!
    Of course, the experiment was with last DxWnd release v2.03.98.fx1 and starting from scratch (old exported files are not reliable any longer).
    Standard game is compatible with DxWnd default settings, but moving to high resolutions and colors (640x480, 16bit million colors, the mind boggles!) and setting hardware mode (whatever it could mean) caused the game crash.
    Strangely, the problem disappeared unchecking the "Flip emulation" flag.
    Also, setting the DirectX(2) / Clipper radio button to "ON" avoids breaking the AERO compatibility.
    Finally, the game perfectly bears "Full bilinear" option, getting a much better quality.

I hope the hints are working. In case they're not, please send me a logfile: the problem could be interesting.

• Gagster

Gagster - 2016-12-01

Got it working by disabling flip emulation :-)

I'm using the JJ2+ Client while playing this game btw; supposedly there are more features when it comes to custom content using that unofficial client. One of the features are higher resolutions and also a 720x480 one that I now use (the epic logo/game-intro still runs @ 640x480, but as of now my only option is to have the intro movie stretched by some pixels since dxwnd does not react to games that changes resolution on the fly).

I'm having a hard time with Jazz 2's official expansion The Secret Files using DxWnd. The game crashes at startup, even thougt the original Jazz 2 game works fine.

After I start The Secret Files, I get this log report called jazz.log in the games folder:

LOG: GRADE (Build 98-194W), Executable: D:\Games\Jazz Jackrabbit 2 The Secret Files\Jazz2.exe
    LOG: Jazz Jackrabbit 2 version 1.24

WIN: Running Microsoft Windows NT version 6.2, Build 9200
    CPU: Intel Pentium II processor found
    CPU: Processor Vendor ID 'GenuineIntel', Family 6, Model 12, Stepping 3
    CPU: Processor Features BFEBFBFF (FPU, MMX)
    VID: Checking for available video modes
    VID: DirectDraw found
    VID: Direct3D not found - Disabled
    NET: WinSock v2.2 "WinSock 2.0", Status: Running, Host: OleHovedPC
    SND: Galaxy Music System v5.0a
    SND: Detected DirectSound driver
    ---- Starting execution: invoke MainProg()

• gho

gho - 2016-12-02

Weird, the expansion works here even easier that the Jazz 2 game: it works with / without Flip emulation and both in sw and hw modes. Tested on Win7, maybe Win10 makes the difference.
      But in that case I'd have a look at the shims.

• Dolphin

Dolphin - 2016-12-02

VID: DirectDraw found
    VID: Direct3D not found - Disabled

I guess the reason is because disable "flip emulation" will also disable Direct3D support on some games like DethKarz, Interstate '76 Arsenal and probably this one. Other games will crash, but this game auto switch to DirectDraw mode and hence it still works.

• gho

gho - 2016-12-02

Interesting theory. I'll have a look, there should be a way to leave Direct3D support intact.