Menu

DDI window empty in Dangerous Waters

Gunnodayak
2019-09-18
2019-09-18
  • Gunnodayak

Gunnodayak - 2019-09-18

Hi,

I am using Windows 10 64bit, AMD video card Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X OC & Boost 4GB GDDR5 256bit with the latest drivers installed, playing the games Dangerous Waters (from 2005) and Sub Command (from 2001), in windowed mode using the version v2_05_26 of DXWnd. I've set up the games working using this guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD-bTqY5b8Y

The strange this is that the games are both working flawlessly on my laptop installation (with Intel HD 620 integrated graphic card, and the same Windows as on my desktop), but on my desktop (with the AMD card), the DDI window is empty as seen in the picture below:

, as opposed as it should look:

The issue is described in more detail in one thread of subsim.com, it seems that I am not the only one encountering this:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=232169

Everything looks fine only when I put in the game folder the D3D8.dll file, extracted from dgVoodoo 2, but that gives me a permanent watermark in the lower right corner of the screen.

Of course, this workaround makesboth games playable 100%, but it's somehow a compromise solution. That's why I am wondering: What does that D3D8.dll from dgVoodoo 2 has and DXWnd doesn't have? Because I would rather use DXWnd than dgVoodoo 2, it has a lot of extra options.

Any potential replies/support would be greatly appreciated! DXWnd is a great software, reviving a lot of great games from the past.

Last edit: Gunnodayak 2019-09-18
    • gho

gho - 2019-09-18

Quick workaround: copy in game folder both D3D8.DLL and the dgVoodoo configuration file dgVoodoo.conf, then edit this file and find this line

dgVoodooWatermark = true

replace "true" with "false" and say goodbye to the watermark.
      P.s. likely, there are other more interesting tricks you can trigger in this file, it's probably worth reading some Dege's doc!

• Gunnodayak

Gunnodayak - 2019-09-18

Thanks, I will try that later today, when I will have access to my home desktop!

• Gunnodayak

Gunnodayak - 2019-09-18

gho, it works like a charm! You're the man, thank you again! Two files added to the game installation folder (D3D8.dll and an edited dgVoodoo.conf) and the games are working flawlessly now using DXWnd on my destktop with the AMD graphic card.

Last edit: Gunnodayak 2019-10-07