Menu

Interstate '76 - trouble with 'primary buffer' renderer

UCyborg
2019-08-15
2019-08-15
  • UCyborg

UCyborg - 2019-08-15

Using DxWnd version 2.05.24. I use this option on DirectX tab to get rid of the issue on Windows 10 (probably happens on 8.x too) that makes menu screen go black under certain circumstances, usually happens on its own when transitioning from gameplay to menus, but it can always be reproduced if you use Aero Peek, easy to invoke from the main taskbar from another monitor. The problem is some weird usage of DirectDraw for menus when I76.EXE is invoked with -glide parameter (to enable rendering via Glide API for gameplay). When no parameters are used, menus are fine.

There's workaround in my patch I mentioned in another thread that creates DirectDraw object for menus in emulation mode to work-around crashes and errors before you even get to menu. This issue however is not exclusive to Windows 10, happens on WIndows 7 as well with new enough drivers, but I suspect it's related.

However, when using DxWnd's primary buffer option under Renderer on DirectX tab to fix the issue, the transitions from menus to gameplay go progressively slower the longer you play. It doesn't end here, it slows down the graphics performance of the entire computer until the game process is finished. With DxWnd's DirectX hooks disabled, there are no issues, apart from that black screen problem, which isn't nearly as bad as the issue that DxWnd causes somehow.

The screen doesn't stay permanently black; when part of the screen refreshes, it stays OK until something causes it to go black again.

I'm using Windows 10 1809 Build 17763.615 on two different computers, one has NVIDIA card, other has AMD. Also, did I possibly mess up with turning off some of the default options (Fix ddraw refcount and Set 16BPP RGB5656 encoding)?

Last edit: UCyborg 2019-08-15
    • gho

gho - 2019-08-15

'Primary buffer' is probably the most untested DxWnd option, it is no wonder that something may go wrong. From your description, I would guess some GDI resource leakage that slows the system progressively, I should test what's going on with some resource monitor.
      Unfortunately I have all I need on the Win7 computer that I left home before leaving for vacations, so I'm not sure I will be able to do some testing before september. In any case, could you post here the exported configuration file? This way I'll be sure to test with te very same configuration.

• UCyborg

UCyborg - 2019-08-15

You're right, I checked the statistics with Process Hacker 2 and the GDI handles count does keep rising. The game seems to leak them either way, but the number rises about 4 times faster with 'primary buffer' option.