Menu

Failed install OS X 10.9.1

cddeluca
2014-02-21
2014-02-22
  • cddeluca

cddeluca - 2014-02-21

Hello:
    Thanks for making this available - I'd very much like to explore a few simple calculations but, being an idiot, I can't get the app to work.
    I stumbled around with the install but eventually installed Mono 2.10 and X11 as XQuartz-2.7.5. I can launch the app with "mono DWSIM" and get the splash but after that it quits with an exception. If I close the splash and try to open a new sim, same thing. the last message I saw was

2014-02-21 06:14:51.094 mono[4829:507] WARNING: CFSTR("Details \37777777702\37777777673") has non-7 bit chars, interpreting using MacOS Roman encoding for now, but this will change. Please eliminate usages of non-7 bit chars (including escaped characters above \177 octal) in CFSTR().

This also appears many times:

at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown="">:0

Do you think it's possible for me to run this app? Hope so.

Thank you for your time and attention,
    Charlie DeLuca
    Mandeville, La USA

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2014-02-21

Hi cddeluca,

Please follow the instructions in this page http://dwsim.inforside.com.br/wiki/index.php?title=Mono_Edition_setup, and let me know if it works.

Please note that unfortunately DWSIM only works with a specific Mono version on OS X for now. They broke support for the Windows interface a few versions ago and never got it fixed after that.

Regards,
    Daniel

• cddeluca

cddeluca - 2014-02-21

Thank you for your reply. Yes, that is what I did. The version of Mono I downloaded was supposed to be for OS X. Not sure what else to do at this juncture.

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2014-02-22

Did you set this before running?

export MONO_MWF_MAC_FORCE_X11=1

• cddeluca

cddeluca - 2014-02-22

Yes, sir, I did. Where I initially messed up the instructions was in not knowing that I needed to install X11. I looked around the system directories and found a lot of references to X11 and so I assumed it was installed. After I had problems I found I needed to install it, and did. Then I followed the sequence again "export MONO_...", logged out and in again, etc... but no good - still couldn't open a new simulation. If i tried from the splash screen I'd get the sort of error I initially described. If i close the splash screen i get the same error sequence when i try to create a new simulation from the toolbar.

Last edit: cddeluca 2014-02-22
      • cddeluca

cddeluca - 2014-02-22

Mr Medeiros:
        We might as well forget this issue for now - I borrowed a windows computer and though it is very poor I did get a clean install on it after I opted to "install as administrator". That will suffice for the moment.
        Thank you for your time and attention.
        Charlie