Menu

Gasification of biomass

2023-10-03
2023-10-04
  • cristina moliner

Hi,
    I would like to simulate the gasification of biomass using DWSIM but i encountered some problems when implementing the model. I am new with the software so i'm pretty sure the settings are not completely correct... biomass is defined by its elemental components, there is a block creating the tar components, then a mixer to introduce air into the system (not sure why the temperature at the outlet is 2900C, mass balance seems to work well though) and then oxidation and reduction reactions take place in two different CSTRs. I introduced the kinetic data, based on available literature, and i noticed that C(s) doesn't seem to react when it is involved. I added it as a new component using the file provided in some previous discussions. Would it be possible to have some advice on this? thank you for your help!

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2023-10-03

Hi Cristina,

For this system it is better to use Raoult's Law Property Package as it can work with simple experimental data for these compounds that you had to define, as using an EOS model will require somewhat good values for the Critical Properties (T, P and acentric factor).

Also, Solid C will only be taken into account in the reaction if you select "Mixture" as the reacting phase. Not all reaction types support this.

Regards
    Daniel

• cristina moliner

Hi,
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I changed to Raoult's law PP and checked Mixture was chosen as reacting phase. All reactions were Miixture, not sure if i have to say it also in the block for the reactor somewhere. In any case, no differences shown. Is it a chance that kinetic reactions as those described do not support solids as reacting phase even though Mixture has been set?

Regards,
    Cristina

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2023-10-04

I've changed two more things in order to make it work: forced Carbon to be a solid in the Property Package settings and replaced the two CSTRs with two PFRs, as CSTRs work only with reactions in the liquid phase by definition.

Regards
      Daniel

Last edit: Daniel Medeiros 2023-10-04
  • cristina moliner

Thank you! I will play around with it now! :-)