Menu

Guide to simulate CO2 capture process with MEA in DWSIM

2022-05-28
2024-06-05
  • Walter Sanchez

Walter Sanchez - 2022-05-28

Hello community,

I want to simulate the CO2 capture process using MEA. I already achieved this in Aspen Plus, since this simulator has suitable thermodynamic packages (E-NRTL, Amine, etc.). The results I get are in line with literature values.

On the other hand, DWSIM does not have those thermodynamic packages and therefore does not include the reactions involved in the absorption and desorption of CO2.

I have seen several forums where people upload simulations in DWSIM, indicating that they cannot solve the flow sheet, and that their results are not in line with literature. Daniel Medeiros even answers, indicating that DWSIM does not yet have the capacity to resolve this type of process.

So I decided to look for scientific articles that have used DWSIM to simulate the CO2 capture process (see the attached PDF). In this article, they indicate they used the Amine thermodynamics package, and the results seem quite reasonable.

I tried to follow the article, but I did not achieve any convergence (Amine package is not available in DWSIM in the first place)

Any guidance on trying to solve a CO2 capture process flow sheet using MEA is appreciated.

Thank you

Regards,
    Walter Sanchez

• Gregor Reichert

Gregor Reichert - 2022-05-28

You may try property packages UNIQUAC or NRTL.
    You need to do a regressen of experimental data to get the required interaction parameters.

I would be happy if you could supply the final simulation and regression files here in case of a success.

Best Regards
    Gregor

• Simulate 365

Simulate 365 - 2023-06-12

Hi Walter,

You ask about any exsiting property package to simulate your CO2 carbon capture process in DWSIM. We like the question, because Carbon Capture is a relevant topic in our current development.

We are happy to answer your question. Our support is private and our professionals work under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). Please send your request to https://simulate365.com/private-support/

• Urbain NZOTCHA

Urbain NZOTCHA - 2023-12-01

Hi all,
    I am a beginner in DWSIM environment. Could anyone assist me with the relevant package in simulating a MEA-based carbon capture process please?
    Looking forward to reading your comments.

• Simulate 365

Simulate 365 - 2024-03-12

Hi Urbain,

You asked for a relevant property package for MEA-based carbon capture process. Unfortunately, DWSIM open-source has no adequate property package for this purpose.
    We simulate 365 Team work on the Pro version of DWSIM Open-source and we developed Amines property package specially for your application. Learn more about our latest development in https://simulate365.com/landing-pages/dwsim-pro/ and get your free trial to experience carbon capture in DWSIM Pro.

Kind Regards,
    Simulate 365 Team.

• Rajib Saha

Rajib Saha - 2024-06-05

Hi Community, Can I simulate the Carbon Capture Physical Absorption Process with Zeolite with DWSIM? I want to do also the comparison of CAPEX and OPEX in between Zeolite use and Amine or MEA use. I didnot find any solution about this.

Last edit: Rajib Saha 2024-06-05