Menu

errors on windows

2008-11-22
2012-09-08
  • Christoph Meier

Christoph Meier - 2008-11-22

Hi,

I'm evaluation several open source and/or freeware process simulatiors for research and educational purposes at my university. DWSIM looks really interesting, but unfortunately the software creashes a lot, for example if i want do delete an Object in the flow chart:

https://home.zhaw.ch/~meic/dwsim_error_delete_objects.jpg

or simply by entering values (see below)

I have .NET Framework 2.0 installed (on windows xp sp2)

Could you give me some advice? Thanks in advance!
    Christoph

System.InvalidCastException: Ungültige Konvertierung von der Zeichenfolge 0,01 in Typ Double. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value)
    at DWSIM.DWSIM.ENH_CAPEOPEN.PropertyPackages.RaoultPropertyPackage.FLASH_TP(Double T, Double P, Object Vz, Object VKij, Object VTc, Object VPc, Object VTb, Object Vw)
    at DWSIM.DWSIM.ENH_CAPEOPEN.PropertyPackages.RaoultPropertyPackage.DW_CalcEquilibrium(FlashSpec spec1, FlashSpec spec2)
    at DWSIM.frmProps.PGEx1_PropertyValueChanged(Object s, PropertyValueChangedEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.PropertyGrid.OnPropertyValueChanged(PropertyValueChangedEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.PropertyGrid.OnPropertyValueSet(GridItem changedItem, Object oldValue)
    at System.Windows.Forms.PropertyGridInternal.PropertyGridView.CommitValue(GridEntry ipeCur, Object value)
    at System.Windows.Forms.PropertyGridInternal.PropertyGridView.CommitValue(Object value)
    at System.Windows.Forms.PropertyGridInternal.PropertyGridView.CommitText(String text)
    at System.Windows.Forms.PropertyGridInternal.PropertyGridView.Commit()
    at System.Windows.Forms.PropertyGridInternal.PropertyGridView.UnfocusSelection()
    at System.Windows.Forms.PropertyGridInternal.PropertyGridView.GridViewEdit.ProcessDialogKey(Keys keyData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control target, Message& msg)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)

• Christoph Meier

Christoph Meier - 2008-12-01

Hi Daniel,

sorry for the late reply. My language settings are as following:

https://home.zhaw.ch/~meic/windows_settings_point.jpg

I can avoid the error by setting the decimal seperator to "," instead of ".":

https://home.zhaw.ch/~meic/windows_settings_comma_works.jpg

Is this what you are interested in?

regards,
      Christoph

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2008-12-01

Hi Christoph,

I've found the error. It occurs when the flash algorithm tries to recover a parameter value which is stored as a string AND with a comma as the decimal separator... I'll redesign the parameter storing module, and I'll let you know when I'm finished with it.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
        Daniel

• Christoph Meier

Christoph Meier - 2008-12-01

Great!

Thank you very much for your work,
          Christoph

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2008-11-22

Hi Christoph,

About the delete error, this happens on some unit ops because they want to delete a connection which is not really there, so we got an exception. This can be avoided by a simple check. I can do this for every unit op but if you could tell me which object you was trying to delete, i can solve this problem directly.

The error that occurs when you enter values is related to the locale settings on your computer. Maybe "," is not recognized as a decimal separator, you must use a "." instead. Here in Brazil it's just the opposite, the decimal separator is the comma and I never get this error.

Please let me know about the errors that you find so I can work on them ASAP and make DWSIM usage a better experience for you and your students.

Regards
      Daniel

• Christoph Meier

Christoph Meier - 2008-11-24

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your fast response.

The delete error occured with CSTR, Conversion and Equilibrium Reactors.

The error which occurs by entering values occurs as well if i enter an integer value. If I simply use "," instead of a "." i get a different, proper warning ( https://home.zhaw.ch/~meic/dwsim_error_decimal_entering.jpg )

So far, the error occured only in material streams, not always, but especially by setting mass/mol/volume flows.

The only way to avoid this "unhandled exeption" error is to set "," as decimal seperator instead of a "." within the windows settings.

Hope this helps you!

regards
      Christoph

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2008-11-24

Hi Christoph,

I managed to solve the delete error related to reactors, but I couldn't reproduce the error with number formatting. I changed my locale settings but it also worked fine.

Could you send me the simulation file in which you are getting this error?

Regards,
      Daniel

• Christoph Meier

Christoph Meier - 2008-11-24

sure,

https://home.zhaw.ch/~meic/invertetMGT_02.dwsim

The error occurs within the MAT-000 and MAT-004 stream object. The rest of the objects do not produce this error...

regards,
      christoph

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2008-11-24

Christoph,

I still couldn't reproduce the error. What is the locale setting on your computer?