Menu

The excited newbie needs more help....

2012-12-22
2012-12-22
  • Tin Yin Lam

Tin Yin Lam - 2012-12-22

I spent sometime today to go over the DTL source code and stepped thru the the DTLTest module. The code is very elegant. In fact, it is too elegant for a half-baked VB person like myself to follow. I also downloaded the compiled version. A few more newbie questions:

1. This is managed code. Do I need to register the DLL before use? If so, how do I do it?
    2. The API_Reference.chm is empty? Seems like it wants to go online and goes nowhere?
    3. Can I use the DLL with Excel or Excel VBA? If it does, could someone kindly send me an example spreasheet?

Curiosity question: Do more folks use DWSIM or the standalone DTL?

Thank you for your help. I'm sure these are not the last....

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2012-12-22

Hi Tin,

The code is heavily object-oriented. As a good start you can take a look at the low-level functions for fugacity calculations (PR, SRK, CS, GS, etc) which are located in subfolders inside each Property Package folder. You can also take a look at the flash algorithms, they're easy to follow.

Now answering your questions:

1 - If your project is .NET-based, you don't have to register the DLL, just add a reference to it and you're ready to go. You'll have to register if you want to use it as a COM DLL.

2 - The API reference document is not empty, it may be something with the path on where it is located. Try copying/opening it from C: or a path without spaces or special characters...

3 - Actually I didn't enable the excel interface for DTL because it is already there for DWSIM. If you install DWSIM you'll get two examples on how to make it work with Excel. The functionality is the same, except that you have more Property Packages available directly from the DWSIM executable (DTL is just subset of DWSIM thermo containing only the managed part of the code).

I released DTL earlier this year while DWSIM is there for at least 5 years, so you can imagine what people uses most... but I've seen a very good number of downloads for DTL lately. If you check DTL's source code compared to DWSIM's you will immediately notice that DTL is a subset of DWSIM, with a lot of code removed for isolating purposes, so it could work without any external dependencies.

Regards,
    Daniel