simulation of oxidation raction

yogesh
2017-04-13
2017-04-24
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-13

hello everyone,
    i am doing a simulation project in Chemical Engineering this semester , i have studied most of the basic part for DWSIM, i am going to simuate the whole process of oxidation of Butene to produce Maleic Anhydride. i am confusd on how to start. I need a basic layout plan, just to help me to start on it.
    or tell me if it can be done, i have attached a process flow sheet.
    please help me for this if anyone can.
    thank you !

Last edit: yogesh 2017-04-13
  • Gregor Reichert

Gregor Reichert - 2017-04-13

Hi Yogesh,
    this project seems to be feasible with DWSIM. But it will not be a project for a beginner - let's be warned.

First, i checked that all necessary components are available in DWSIM already, which is good for you.
    But now the drawback: Maleic-anhydride has no interaction parameters with other components available. It's not possible to use any group contributen model as well as no sutible goups are available.

Do you have any data available on process conditions (temperatures, pressures, conversion rates, ... ) and equilibrium data?

Gregor

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-14

Hello Sir,
      Thank you for helping me, I know it will be a difficult task but i need some guidance and hopefully i will do it.
      i am attaching a file giving all the best information i have for this simulation, giving data about the process conditions. i want a step-wise direction like how can i build the model because i have attended few Aspen seminars and there it is very easy to simulate the process but being very very expensive, i can not do it.I am getting use to of DWsim and hopefully i will do this project with ease if I have your valuable help.

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-14

Hello Sir,,
    please tell me how can I start with this or else i need more information.

Last edit: yogesh 2017-04-14
  • Gregor Reichert

Gregor Reichert - 2017-04-14

Hi i am testing your case just now. But i am still strugling with the first absorber column T101.
    Probably Daniel can help with that.

But you already may start the following way:
    1. create a new simulation
    2. select all components of your case to be used in your simulation
    3. Selecte property package as suggested in your paper (PengRobinson)
    4. Define feed streams 1 and 2
    5. Add a compressor
    6. connect feed stream 1 to compressor and create new outlet stream 3 and energy stream
    7. Adjust compressor efficiency to match outlet temperature to your paper
    8. add a mixer
    9. connect streams 3 and 2 to the mixer and add outlet stream 4

If you got that far, compare all data to you paper

Next steps to configure reactor will follow after that.

Gregor

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-16

Respected Sir,
      when i select the compund, Do i have to select all the compounds use in this process (Air,oxygen,nitrogen,maleic acid,maleic anhydride including the by products).

I did as you suggested me, i got the result but the stream 4 temperature id a little high.
      I am attaching the file, please tell me what to do next.
      and how come the reaction take place and byproducts will be defined.

Last edit: yogesh 2017-04-16
  • Gregor Reichert

Gregor Reichert - 2017-04-16

Hi Yogesh,
    some remarks to your solution:
    replace component air with components oxygen and nitrogen as you can see in your process description already
    Change unit system to C5 which will allow to enter temperatures in °C direktely
    * Compositions of feed streams need to be entered correctely, you still have defined an equimolar mixture of all components in all streams.

Now, after you checked all results against your process description you may go on:
    add all other components including byproducts to your simulation
    add all reactions as "Conversion reaction".
    * add a new conversion reactor

As soon as you reached this point, let us check your solution again.

Gregor

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-16

Respected Sir,
      How can i defind the feed stream ratios, for example, the the stream one i have oxygen and nitrogen which is compressed and then i get a new stream with a hight temperatur and then i attatch it to stream 2 which is butane. How can i add the reaction in DWSIM that is happening.

• Gregor Reichert

Definition of streams:
        select stream
        in editor window select basis: mass flow
        enter amount of mass flow of every component
        press lowest button to accept changes

To add the reactions:
        open reaction manager from menue "tools"->"Reaction Manager"
        Add new conversion reaction

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-16

Respecte Sir,
          I prepared a new task and define the streams and the mass flo rate, and i got the stream 4 values accurate, now I want to know how can i attach the PFR reactor and set the conversion. I added the reactions in the Dwsim. I don't know to get it right in simulation.
          i have attached the file, please tell me what more i can do to make it work.
          And i apologise for bothering you this much.
          Thank you.

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-16

Respected Sir,
    i tried to add a PFR but I am not able to do the conversion, i still did not get the maleic anhydride. please tell me :
    1. How can i use the PFR and get the rection done.
    2. How can i get the maximum yield (if i change the paramets)
    3. after this how can i attach the absorption tower to remove the exaust gas and add a reaction to remove carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.

• Gregor Reichert

As Daniel already wrote, you need to use a conversion reactor.
      Select "Define Outlet temperature" as operation mode and define temperature as given in you paper.

To get your simulation running, you also need to delete all reaction sets except the default set.
      Allways select butane as basecomponent. You selected a product on some reactions which does not work.

You probably found that you do not find the component "formic acid". In order to add this component to your simulation you need to create a new user component and save this to a user database. After starting DWSIM again, you can add this component to your simulation. Fortunately this component is available at the online databases (Chemeo / KDB / DDB) and you don't need to enter any data manually.

After the reactor you add a cooler to reach the specified temperature.

After that you would need to add an absorber column, where you feed water at the top stage and you product stream to the bottom stage.
      This is the theory - but this column doesn't work here.
      As a simple replacement you also may use a flash vessel instead, where you feed in both streams. This will work like a single stage columne and a lot of product is still leaving with the vapour stream.

If you got that far, we can proceed. But i am some days off for holidays now

Gregor

@Daniel: Please have a look why this column doesn't work.

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2017-04-16

Where is the file which contains an absorber?

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-17

Respected Sir,
          Thank you for helping me, I made this simulation by adding a conversion reactor. I have four set of reaction in which Maleic Anhydride is the major product and carbon dioxide,Carbon Monoxide,Formic Acid,Acetic anhydride,water are the by products.
          now when i added just two reactions where Maleic Anhydride is fromed, the values seeme to be strange for the product stream as the product is going up in the vapor stream too.

please tell me how can I write all the reactions and get the product stream.
          and I need to attach a absorber to remove the exaust gases.

below attahed is the PFD with the data along with the simulation file.
          Than you.

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-17

@Gregor Reichert
        Respect Sir
        Thank you for your help, I Understood many thing about the Dwsim now. I am doing my best to make it work. I hope you have a good time and a great holidays.
        Thank you!

Last edit: yogesh 2017-04-17
  • Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2017-04-16

PFR and CSTR will only "see" kinetic reactions. You added conversion reactions, which will work only with a conversion reactor.

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-17

Respected Sir,
      i tried again to add the raction with byproducts and main product, but my conversion reactor is giving wrong values, and the liquid stream produts are not available that is why i can not attach a cooling unit.
      please tell what can i do.

Last edit: yogesh 2017-04-17
      • Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2017-04-17

Is the 1% conversion correct for the second and third reactions? Didn't you mean 100%?

Do you have experience with the process being simulated, I mean, your difficulties are related to the process itself, using DWSIM, or both? It is complicated to guide you through a simulation if you don't understand the process being simulated.

Regards
        Daniel

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-18

Respected Sir,
          First of all, I apologise for any trouble I caused .
          I understood the process, my difficulty is with using DWSIM to get the simulation done.
          now the reactions are correct but in the main reaction, 82-84% of Butan is converted to Maleic Anhydride.
          in the other reactions, i don't know how much butane is getting converted into CO.CO2,CO2O2andacetic anhydride but i know the concentration of each is 1-2% in the product stream.
          tell me how or what can i do, so that i get the desired value. because for the reactions other than the main reaction i need to get 1% byproducts each and i have no data how much butane is consuming in the other reactions and all the reactions are hppening in the conversion reactor or PFR itself .

Thank you.

Last edit: yogesh 2017-04-18
          • Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2017-04-18

Maybe I could help you better if I study the whole process as Gregor did. I'll get back here once I do that.

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-18

Respected Sir,
    Thank you for your help. I hope you can tell me what can i do.
    and I will finish this simulation asap.

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2017-04-18

Hi yogesh,

Here's the full simulation, ready to solve. I had to make some assumptions because the process description in the pdf lacks a lot of information.

I'm assuming that you've installed ChemSep together with DWSIM, because you'll need it to run the column models. If ChemSep is installed, you should get only a few warning messages from it when solving the flowsheet, which you can safely ignore.

The main trick for the reaction conversions is that you have to normalize them using the informed selectivity, that is, 82.2 x 70/(70+1+1+1) for the first reaction and 82.2 x 1/(70+1+1+1) for the others.

I've also added a reactor after the absorption tower which represents the reaction which should occur inside the tower according to the description (maleic anhydride reacts to form maleic acid).

Take a look at the file and let me know if you have questions about it.

Regards
    Daniel

Last edit: Daniel Medeiros 2017-04-18
    • yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-21

Respected Sir,
      I am getting stuck in the absorption tower, the properties are too
      complicated in my DWSIM while in your DWSIM file absorber is very simple to
      connect. Please help me in it.
      Thank you

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:26 PM, Daniel Medeiros danwbr@users.sf.net
      wrote:

Hi yogesh,

Here's the full simulation, ready to solve. I had to make some assumptions
      because the process description in the pdf lacks a lot of information about
      the process.

I'm assuming that you've installed ChemSep together with DWSIM, because
      you'll need it to run the column models. If ChemSep is installed, you
      should get only a few warning messages from it when solving the flowsheet,
      which you can safely ignore.

The main trick for the reaction conversions is that you have to normalize
      them using the informed selectivity, that is, 82.2 x 70/(70+1+1+1) for the
      first reaction and 82.2 x 1/(70+1+1+1) for the others.

I've also added a reactor after the absorption tower which represents the
      reaction which should occur inside the tower according to the description
      (maleic anhydride reacts to form maleic acid).

Take a look at the file and let me know if you have questions about it.

Regards
      Daniel

Attachments:

simulation of oxidation raction
      https://sourceforge.net/p/dwsim/discussion/844528/thread/96bef3fa/?limit=25#7fe3

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/dwsim/discussion/844528/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• yogesh

yogesh - 2017-04-23

Respected Sir,
      I have made another simulation with different sets of assumptions and i reached the final soperation and i am stucked at Distillation Unit.
      i don't know how to add the distillation tower.
      Thank you.

• Daniel Medeiros

Daniel Medeiros - 2017-04-23

You must add a CAPE-OPEN Unit Operation and select ChemSep from the list. Refer to ChemSep's own manual for more help.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)